Dr. Richard Orbe-Austin, Conquer Impostor Syndrome for Unstoppable Greatness – Innova.Buzz 570
Dr Richard Orbe-Austin, Dynamic Transitions
Our guest in this episode is Dr Richard Orbe-Austin, a renowned psychologist, known for his work and research on Impostor Syndrome. His work has focused on helping individuals who are high achieving but constantly feel like frauds. He has highlighted how most people (over 70%) experience some level of impostor feelings during some stage of their lives, and yet many do not know or understand this phenomenon. Many individuals who experience impostor feelings suffer in silence because they feel embarrassed or ashamed. Richard has done extensive research on this topic to help people understand and overcome these feelings.
In our conversation, Richard and I discussed:
- Overcoming limiting beliefs to achieve your dreams;
- Injecting joy into your journey and setting boundaries to protect your dreams;
- The need to celebrate achievements and practice self-care to avoid burnout and impostor syndrome.
Listen to the Podcast
Show Notes from this episode with Dr Richard Orbe-Austin, Dynamic Transitions
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Impostor syndrome affects many successful people – don’t suffer in silence.
- Don’t let toxic workplaces hold you back – develop a plan to address them.
- We all have agency and power. Changing cultural norms around self-care is important for healthier work environments. Seek allies.
- Your Unstoppable Greatness can help you identify your dreams and set boundaries to achieve them.
- Prevent limiting beliefs from holding you back – identify and address them.
- Share your goals with others for accountability and support.
- Dreams are powerful motivators and everyone deserves to have them. If you are in survival mode, identify what you need to change so that you can set dreams.
- Keep your inner child’s joy and excitement alive by celebrating special moments.
- Self-care is essential for success – create habits and routines that work for you. Self-care is an important responsibility for individuals and organizations alike.
- Breaks and vacations can increase productivity – avoid burnout. Setup your environment to prevent chronic burnout.
- Take time to celebrate your achievements and inject joy into that moment of your life.
- Avoid perfectionism getting in the way of celebrating and learning from your achievements. Ask “what did I do well?”
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Richards’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
- #1 thing to be more innovative: Let your inner creativity flow – don’t limit yourself with filters.
- Best thing for new ideas: Talk to a variety of people from different industries, professions and backgrounds.
- Favourite resource: My journal and the Core Meditation Trainer.
- Keep project/client on track: Set clear goals, that are achievable and deadlines from the outset, and communicate consistently throughout the project. Accountability is key to staying on track.
- Differentiate: Don’t be afraid to stand out or take risks and try different approaches – it’s essential for growth. Look at every experience as a learning opportunity.
Richard wants you to know that you have the power to impact your life in a powerful way. This means getting in touch with your dreams, protecting them, and recognizing that you have the agency to change any toxic work environments or bosses that are limiting you. The key takeaway here is to cultivate the agency that you deserve so you can live the kind of life you want. Go out there and get it!
You can reach out and thank Richard through the Dynamic Transitions website or Instagram.
Richard suggested we have a conversation with Dr. Cicely Horsham-Brathwaite on a future InnovaBuzz Podcast episode.
- Website – Dynamic Transition Psychological Consulting
- Twitter – @DrROrbeAustin
- Instagram –@DrRichOrbeAustin
- Innova.Buzz #337 – Dr Richard Orbe-Austin, How to Overcome impostor Syndrome, Beat Self-Doubt and Succeed in Life
- Core Meditation Trainer
- Own Your Greatness: Overcome Impostor Syndrome, Beat Self-Doubt, and Succeed in Life, by Lisa Orbé-Austin, Richard Orbé-Austin
- Your Unstoppable Greatness: Break Free From impostor Syndrome, Cultivate Your Agency, and Achieve Your Ultimate Career Goals, by Lisa Orbé-Austin, Richard Orbé-Austin
Cool Things About Richard
- He is the son of Haitian immigrants. He was born in Brooklyn, NY, and was raised in Queens, NY.
- He was the founding director of NYU’s Graduate Student Career Development Center.
- He is an avid runner and enjoys reading historical nonfiction.
Imagine being a part of a select community where you not only have access to our amazing podcast guests, but you also get a chance to transform your marketing and podcast into a growth engine with a human-centered, relationship-focused approach.
That’s exactly what you’ll get when you join the Flywheel Nation Community.
Tap into the collective wisdom of high-impact achievers, gain exclusive access to resources, and expand your network in our vibrant community.
Experience accelerated growth, breakthrough insights, and powerful connections to elevate your business.
ACT NOW – secure your spot and transform your journey today! Visit innovabiz.co/flywheel and get ready to experience the power of transformation.