Jem Fuller, Impactful Conversations through Conscious Communication – Innova.Buzz 571
Jem Fuller, The Art of Conscious Communication for Thoughtful Men
Our guest in this episode is Jem Fuller, Leadership and Culture Coach, author of the award-winning book, The Art of Conscious Communication for Thoughtful Men, and TEDx speaker.
In our conversation, Jem and I talk about about the concept of conscious communication and the impact it can have on leaders. Here are three key takeaways
- Be aware of the impact of our communication on the other person, and be mindful of our choice of words, language, and body language;
- Set aside judgment and actively listen to others to have a productive conversation, avoid ego putting up a defence shield;
- Cultivate emotional intelligence through mindfulness meditation.
By embracing these concepts and working on our ability to communicate mindfully, we can deepen and enrich our relationships with others.
Listen to the Podcast
Show Notes from this episode with Jem Fuller, The Art of Conscious Communication for Toughtful Men
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Conscious communication is being aware of the purpose of the communication and being open to understanding other perspectives.
- All of our senses are engaged in communication. Sometimes, though, our ego gets in the way of fully sensing our own communication and its impact on others.
- Effective communication is essential for solving major world issues and harnessing the power of diversity.
- Cultivate emotional intelligence and self-awareness to improve communication and connection with others.
- Active listening, without judgment or preconceived notions, is crucial for productive conversations.
- Mindfulness meditation helps people focus and be present in conversations, improving communication.
- Contemplation and introspection can aid in improving communication.
- The better we become at listening, the more eloquent and free flowing our conversation partner becomes, because they feel truly heard. Being more conscious of communication helps us better understand others and their perspectives.
- Men are often taught that vulnerability is a weakness and dominance is crucial for survival, leading to a limited emotional range and difficulty expressing emotions, between the extremes of ecstasy and rage or anger. This leads to difficulty in dealing with anxiety.
- Having open conversations about emotions with those who care can help build a range of emotional self-awareness. Take the time to understand your emotions and have the vocabulary to describe them using resources such as “Atlas of the Heart” by Brene Brown.
- We should all be focused on improving our communication. Outstanding communication leads to stronger relationships and can ultimately improve the world around us.
- Phoning people spontaneously when you think of them is very powerful for nurturing that relationship
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Jem’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- 1 thing to be more innovative – Mindfulness meditation. It will calm and centre you and you’ll become more observant and curious.
- Best thing for new ideas – Go to places you’ve never been to. Change the paradigm.
- Favourite resource – Sam Harris meditation app “Waking Up” and his podcast “Making Sense”
- Keep project/client on track – Accountability and support – show care.
- Differentiate – Be yourself, stop comparing and back yourself. Worry less about what other people think of you. Show up aligned to your values.
Make a game-changing impact with a 1% habit – Pause Moments. It’s simple, yet powerful. Set up little moments throughout your day where you pause, stop what you’re doing, take a breath, come back to your centre, and then continue. You can start by writing ‘pause’ on a sticky note and placing it next to a habitual practice like making coffee. Over time, the habit will associate with the regular practice, and you will notice a remarkable difference. For more insights on creating habits, check out James Clear’s Atomic Habits. Start now and transform your life – one pause moment at a time.
You can reach out and thank Jem through his website and Instagram.
Jem suggested we have a conversation with Tiffanee Cook of Roll with the Punches Podcast, Joe Pane, creator of the Emotional Fitness Formula on future InnovaBuzz Podcast episodes.
- Website – Jem Fuller
- Jem Fuller: How to Lead with a Servant’s Heart – Innova.Buzz #40
- Twitter – @JemFuller
- Instagram – @JemFuller
- TEDx Talk “How Conscious Communication Can Change Your Game”
- Waking Up App
- Making Sense Podcast
- The Art of Conscious Communication for Thoughtful Men, Jem Fuller
- Atlas of the Heart, Brené Brown
- Atomic Habits, James Clear
Cool Things About Jem
- Jem lives in one of the most iconic surfing locations in the world – Bells Beach!
- Jem has lived a colourful, global life. From barefoot backpacker to corporate leader, fire-dancer and traditional tattooist, a kindergarten teacher to motorcycle courier, masseuse and reflexology to labourer and travel consultant.
- Jem has a second “family” in the Himalayan region of India and conducts regular retreats there for adventurous and open-minded leaders.
Imagine being a part of a select community where you not only have access to our amazing podcast guests, but you also get a chance to transform your marketing and podcast into a growth engine with a human-centered, relationship-focused approach.
That’s exactly what you’ll get when you join the Flywheel Nation Community.
Tap into the collective wisdom of high-impact achievers, gain exclusive access to resources, and expand your network in our vibrant community.
Experience accelerated growth, breakthrough insights, and powerful connections to elevate your business.
ACT NOW – secure your spot and transform your journey today! Visit innovabiz.co/flywheel and get ready to experience the power of transformation.