Les Watson, Get More Time – InnovaBuzz 183
Les Watson, Get More Time
In this episode, I’m really excited to have on the InnovaBuzz podcast as my guest, Les Watson, founder of Get More Time and author of “Get Back An Hour In Every Day – The A to Z of Being More Productive”. Les has worked extensively throughout Australia and South East Asia running dynamic training programs that have produced measurable results for large corporations, small businesses and individuals and has developed a depth of knowledge and skill from over 30 years experience as a trainer, speaker and facilitator in self-management, motivation and communication techniques.
In our discussion, Les talked to me about
- Getting clear about your purpose and your “why” to enable you to focus on the things that matter
- Some tips and ideas to take control of your email inbox
- Triggers – in particular around cleaning up one’s garage (and I can tell you my list there would be so much longer than Les’ 3)
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastWe all have the same amount of time. It all comes down to what are we doing with that time. @TimeLordLes on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Les Watson, founder of Get More Time
Key points and take-aways from this episode include:
- Productivity is getting things done and those things need to be the things that matter.
- We all have the same amount of time. It all comes down to what are we doing with that time.
- Identify your productivity killers. Once you know what your productivity killers are, you can then do something with it. Clarity equals power.
- The 4 D’s of Productivity:
- DO it – if it’s something that requires action, do it in 2 minutes
- DUMP it – if it’s a spam or junk mail, pop it in the bin and delete it
- DELEGATE – if it’s not yours but for someone else in the team, delegate it and delegate it nicely.
- DECIDE WHEN – if you can’t do the action in 2 minutes, put it into a system that will flag you at a later time and you can action it then
- Lead your life. You need to be the leader and choose.
- Your inbox is a great place to work but not a good place to store.
- The clarity and freedom that comes from “inbox zero” is a huge thing for a lot of people.
- There are things in business that you need to read. Create a reading folder.
- Create a CC folder. Look at the CC’s a little bit later. It is only for your information and not for you to take action.
- ALTA Model – Awareness, Leadership, Tools, Action
- Action is what gets you the result.
- Parkinson’s Law – the work will expand to fill the time available for its completion.
- 20% of your tasks will give you 80% of the results, Therefore, identify the 20% of the tasks you need to do and do those early.
- Do a weekly review. The simplicity of a weekly review is something that can transform your productivity.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Les’ answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Take risks. Get out of your comfort zone.
- Best thing for new ideas – Being around others who believe in you.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Trello, Remember the Milk, iPhone/smartphone, calendar and note apps.
- Keep project / client on track – Regular reviews and accountability.
- Differentiate – Don’t think that being you is bland. You are unique. There is only one of you on the planet and you are unique.
To Be a Leader
ESI – External Action, Support, I (what you say to yourself). Take some action, get some support, and actually tell yourself that you can be productive.
Les suggested I interview James and Elicia Crook of Massage Champions. So James and Elicia, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Les Watson.
- Website – Get More Time
- Twitter – @TimeLordLes
- Remember the Milk
- One Note
Contact Les today for your FREE 66 Tips to Being More Productive.
Cool things about Les
- He was born in Launceton, Tasmania.
- He’s an avid cyclist.
- Some of his favourite TV shows are Rake, Suits, Designated Survivor, House of Cards, The IT Crowd or Lano and Woodley.