Chrys Tan, Messenger Marketing Strategist – InnovaBuzz 221
Chrys Tan, Messenger Marketing Strategist
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Chrys Tan of Chrys Media, a Messenger Marketing Agency for online businesses. She is also the host of the Hack Your Online Business Podcast.
These days, your customers are ditching emails and phone calls for messaging apps. Email inboxes are full and people are no longer opening emails from companies. Chrys works with businesses to help them get more engagement, leads, and sales using Facebook Messenger as part of their marketing strategy.
In our discussion, Chrys talked to me about:
- Knowing who your target market is and where they are so that you can meet them there
- Her 4 step marketing system that builds engagement and trust
- How a messenger bot can help you serve your customers
Monica Louie on episode 202 introduced us to Chrys.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the Podcast
Show Notes from this episode with Chrys Tan, Messenger Marketing Strategist
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Every marketing channel is part of an entire big story.
- Messenger marketing is conversational marketing. It is a reflection of the way people communicate with their family, friends, and businesses.
- Marketing is changing and we have to evolve. As businesses, we have to evolve as our customers evolve.
- Facebook alone has 1.3 billion users using Messenger every single day. Even if you are not using Messenger to communicate with your family, friends, and business, chances are your target audience is using it.
- As a marketer, you want to be where your target audience is. Use the marketing channel that they are using and focus on that.
- Facebook Messenger allows you to communicate with your audience on a more intimate level than you can with email marketing.
- Facebook Messenger marketing’s ROI is more than just the dollars and cents.
- A bot is an automated system that allows your customers to ask questions and receive replies instantaneously. You can set up predetermined answers to the most commonly asked questions as well as notify you to reply personally for questions that the bot cannot answer. It is a combination of both automation and human touch.
- Always remember that some people still prefer to speak to a human so make sure that you have an option that allows them to do that.
- Four Step Marketing System:
- Grow your list.
- Engage your list.
- Sell to your list.
- Come back to your list. Ask them if they would be interested in other stuff.
- Facebook’s 24+1 Rule states that when someone interacts with your chatbot, you have the first 24 hours to send them any message that you want to send out and engage with them. The +1 is the one extra message that you can send out outside the 24 hour period.
- Creating content allows you to build that know, like, and trust factor. Make sure that the content you are creating gets an additional boost.
Editor’s Note: On August 29, 2019, Facebook announced updates to its Messenger Platform Policies, including the current 24+1 rule and message tags.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Chrys’ answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Learn something new every single day. Consume a piece of content every single day.
- Best thing for new ideas – Taking some time off to write down ideas and brainstorm. Try to think about 20 new business ideas every day or every week.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Kindle
- Keep project / client on track – Meeting recaps. Writing a recap email after every meeting and constant follow-ups.
- Differentiate – Find something unique about you and own it. Combine your top two talents or interests into one business.
To Be a Leader
Put aside time for yourself to get better internally. Take some time off every single week to focus on yourself and get better as a human being and as a business person.
Chrys suggested I interview Dr. Tracy Timberlake, a Business Coach and Digital Leadership Strategist. So Tracy, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Chrys Tan.
Cool things about Chrys
- She started her career in marketing working for the largest advertising agency in Singapore.
- She sold football cards in high school and ran a shirt printing business in college.
- She speaks Chinese, English, and Spanish.