Tyler Foley, Reframing Public Speaking: Embrace Your Expertise and Inspire Your Audience – Innova.Buzz 561
Tyler Foley, Total Buy In
Our guest in this episode is Tyler Foley, an accomplished film and stage performer and veteran podcast guest with over 300 appearances on episodes with topics ranging from leadership to safety, to overcoming adversity. He is the author of the #1 best-selling book The Power to Speak Naked and the Managing Director of Total Buy In where he works with executives and CEOs, helping them show up powerfully behind the mic to gain the exposure they need.
In our conversation Tyler talked to me about
- The importance of reframing our approach to public speaking to focus on what we can give the audience rather than worrying about how we will be perceived;
- How the audience is on our side, as they are there to learn from us, and they are expecting us to do well;
- Identifying stories we can use to tell and how to tell them in an engaging way.
Listen to the PodcastEveryone has a story to tell and you never know who needs to hear it until you start speaking. When telling stories, make your audience the hero. You, the presenter are the guide. @DropTheMicSTF on InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Tyler Foley, Total Buy In
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Everyone has a story to tell and you never know who needs to hear it until you start speaking.
- It’s not public speaking that we’re afraid of; it’s public judgment. If you’ve been to a restaurant and ordered food, you have done public speaking!
- If we are speaking on stage, our audience don’t want us to fail, they want us to provide them value; they come with the expectation that it’s going to be good.
- Leave your audience better than you found them with one takeaway that improves them.
- You don’t need to change the whole room; one person walking away slightly better than you left them is enough. Someone’s life might be profoundly changed by your “no big deal”.
- Embrace your expertise – if you were asked to speak, it’s because you are the expert.
- Treat your speech as a conversation – speak from the heart and don’t spend time trying to memorize a script. Have a framework, of course.
- Your audience is a gift to you. Focus on how you can serve them, rather than on how you look or sound. Nobody is thinking about how you appear; they’re thinking about what they’re going to get out of the presentation.
- Reframe your approach to make it about what you can give the audience. Your speech is a gift!
- Adapt your presentation for the audience you are speaking to. You can use the same stories, to make different points.
- Use stories in your speeches, and make sure that every story has a point. “Never make a point without a story and never tell a story without a point.”
- When telling stories, make your audience the hero. You, the presenter are the guide.
- You don’t need to be the best, you just need to be the best for the particular audience. Acknowledge that there are people who know more than you do. Yet your perspective is unique.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Tyler’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- 1 thing to be more innovative – Do it and don’t worry about judgement. Embrace failure and learn from it.
- Best thing for new ideas – Surround yourself with people smarter than you and people who have different perspectives and opinions. Be curious.
- Favourite resource – Podmatch.
- Keep project/client on track – Keep yourself on track. Agree on deliverables and milestones and check-in points.
- Differentiate – Be you. Be confident being you! Embrace your story.
Find what your story is, following Tyler’s storytelling method.
You can reach out and thank Tyler through his website.
Tyler suggested we have a conversation with Robert Reapel, Michael Harris and Andrea Petro on a future InnovaBuzz Podcast episode.
- Website – Sean Tyler Foley
- Website – Total Buy-in
- Twitter – @DropTheMicSTF
- Instagram – @seantylerfoley
- Youtube Channel
- Actor Credits
- The Power to Speak Naked: How to Speak with Confidence, Communicate Effectively, and Win Your Audience – Sean Tyler Foley
Cool Things About Tyler
- Tyler has been acting and performing in film and television since he was 6 years old.
- He is a stunt man who became a safety professional.
- He has spent the past 18 months in a row as a top 10 guest on Podmatch.
If you’d like a peek behind the curtain, of this show, go to innovabiz.co/flywheel – there you’ll be able to get your very own Digital Token which will give you membership of the Flywheel Nation Community, where you’ll have direct access to our amazing podcast guests, as well as a short audio program that walks you through the entire InnovaBuzz Podcasting Process. We have minted just 30 copies of this digital token so get in quick before they’re snapped up!