Sheila Sutherland, Reignite Your Purpose – InnovaBuzz 119
Sheila Sutherland, Reignite Your Purpose
In this episode, it is a privilege to welcome to the InnovaBuzz Podcast, Sheila Sutherland from Reignite Your Purpose.
Sheila is a certified life and relationship coach, an educator, speaker, and a best selling author. She also hosts her own podcast called “Reignite Your Purpose”.
Sheila works with people who want to make positive changes in their life but might feel stuck or don’t know how to change. She helps people to connect with who they really are and create a solid foundation in their relationship with self to create success in other areas of their lives. Today we talk about self-awareness and managing our emotions in order to live a more authentic, connected and vibrant life.
Listen to the PodcastEmotions are just emotions. It is an emotion that is there to tell you something. There is a message in it that is triggering you in some way. @ShSutherland on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Sheila Sutherland of Reignite Your Purpose
Key points and take-aways from this episode include:
- Reignite Your Purpose fosters the ability to manage emotions that impact human interactions. It is an area in our lives that most people don’t understand. We think that our emotions drive us when actually it is the other way around. Reignite Your Purpose teaches us how to work with our emotions and use them to the best of our abilities.
- Emotions are just emotions. It is an emotion that is there to tell you something. There is a message in it that is triggering you in some way.
- Learning how to manage emotions starts with self-awareness, learning how you respond with a certain reaction and how you can respond in a more healthy way. It is giving yourself that moment in time to just breathe, step away from the experience and give yourself that moment in time to ask yourself what it is all about. It starts with the awareness and trying to manage our reaction and respond in a more intellectual way. When we are emotionally charged, conscious thought seizes and all the blood in our body drains out of our brain so we cannot think clearly. It is giving yourself that moment to just allow that charge to dissipate and then respond.
- Look at what you got from each experience and you can see a pattern of wherever you are now. Use these skills and put them all together to create something more amazing.
- Having choice is huge. In everything that we do, we have made a choice in some way. Bad choices are good choices – maybe it didn’t work out but you learned something from it and that is the beautiful part of a choice, the learning aspect.
- Shift your perspective on just what a choice means. Make a choice and if it doesn’t work out, make another choice. You have an infinite amount of choices. You have gazillion choices and they don’t end until you feel the right ones for you. Just because you have tried something and failed does not mean you stop. You just shift, adjust it and keep going until you get the right one.
- Judgement shuts down the ability for communication. Depending on what it is you are trying to create, that judgement is in there. It has got a stranglehold on that communication, and it just means you are not going to move forward.
- It is the ones that pay attention that come up with the most amazing ideas.
- Lying to yourself is not going to serve anybody. If you want to move yourself forward, you have to be brutally honest.
- Feeling icky about sales is usually because you’ve got the focus on yourself. Once you put the focus on the other person and what value you are giving them, it becomes not icky.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Sheila’s answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Have an open mind and an open heart. Drop the judgement and the idea that you already know it all. Just be open and curious.
- Best thing for new ideas – Intuitive hits. Get into the moment of flow when you have all these amazing ideas that come up and write them down. Write every single one of them down and don’t judge them as you are writing, and then come back and explore them a little bit more.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Eisenhower Box.
- Keep project / client on track – Learning how to manage or reduce distractions. Retrain your brain to focus.
- Differentiate – Find one small thing which can be something that is very common sense but doesn’t mean people do it. Find that one small thing that seems to be missing in your industry then do that. Whatever it is that you are working on, find a way that will make you memorable and then do that.
To Be a Leader
Get a mentor. Find someone who you can learn from. Find someone who can shorten your learning curve, to bounce ideas off. Create that village of people around you and bounce your ideas off them, create masterminds with them and mentor each other.
Sheila suggested I interview Joe Da Silva, a Sales and Business Success Trainer. So Joe, keep an eye on your inbox, for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Sheila Sutherland.
Cool things about Sheila:
- She is an animal lover and spent only one year of her life not having an animal of some sort.
- She has a BSc in Biology and a BEd in Education.
- She is the first and only licensed facilitator in Canada of the Oh, Shift® program based on the biggest and best principles of the best selling book of the same name.