Seth Buechley, Cathedral Consulting – InnovaBuzz 151
Seth Buechley, Cathedral Consulting
In this episode, I’m really excited to have on the InnovaBuzz podcast as my guest, Seth Buechley, a serial entrepreneur and business founder, author, podcaster, executive coach, and CEO of Cathedral Consulting.
Seth shares his experience as a seasoned entrepreneur, in his current role as a leader, coach and mentor for others. He is also the host of the Business Done Right podcast and author of the book Ambition: Leading with Gratitude. His mission is helping businesses grow the right way.
In our discussion, Seth talked to me about:
- why it is important to stop and appreciate what we have now – “satisfaction lives on the other side of gratitude”
- Free Lunch Friday and focusing on people we already have a relationship with
- the four qualites of a good mentor
Aaron Walker on episode 138 suggested we interview Seth.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastSatisfaction doesn't live on the other side of achievement. It lives on the other side of gratitude. Our identity is tied not to our achievement but to who we are. @SethBuechley on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Seth Buechley of Cathedral Consulting
Key points and take-aways from this episode include:
- There really is no such thing as a self-made man. Everybody that has some measure of success or influence, gets that success or influence because others had taken an interest in them and helped them along the way.
- A business is like a blank canvas.
- Only about 15% of any given business is truly unique. The other 85% is essentially the science of business that many people have done a good job of documenting and making approachable for us.
- Many entrepreneurs are so driven towards the next thing that we often don’t realise that there are people just ten steps behind us who are looking to learn from us if we will just turn around and pay some attention.
- Satisfaction doesn’t live on the other side of achievement. It lives on the other side of gratitude. Our identity is tied not to our achievement but to who we are.
- When something negative happens, agonise over it. Cry a tear if you have to, but then get back up after it.
- It’s OK to be a business person and identified as an entrepreneur but that is not your total identity.
- One of the values of having a mastermind group is having a safe place where you can be transparent about what is going on.
- Focus on these instead of those. We spend too much time thinking about those people out there that we are never going to meet that we actually overlook the people we interact with regularly and have a relationship with already. Focus on what you have.
- Four primary characteristics of good mentors:
- They have wisdom that they are willing to share.
- They are willing to get to know you.
- They love you.
- They share your values.
- Being a mentor makes us better at finding mentors because we are experienced in the art of giving and taking from both sides of that transaction.
- Consulting has to be affordable, implementable and lead to long term sustainable results.
- Business done right is a blessing.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Be willing to listen to the deepest parts and challenge your mindset.
- Best thing for new ideas – Focus on the core and stimulate edges. Adjacency. Pay attention to what’s working and then ask yourself where else can you apply it that nobody else is doing.
- Favourite tool for innovation – My weekly planner.
- Keep project / client on track – Good communication. When you have that feeling that something is amiss, pick up the phone and deal with it early.
- Differentiate – Quit worrying about others. Don’t worry about what people think. Being yourself implies that you know what you stand for.
To Be A Leader
Be a thought leader. Create content. You have to know how to show people what’s important now. If you can stand in front of an audience and help them understand “this is important now”, then you’re going to position as a thought leader and you can step into leadership in your field.
Seth suggested I interview Trevor Mauch, CEO of OnCarrot. So Trevor, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Seth Buechley.
- Website – Seth Buechley
- Website – Cathedral Consulting
- Twitter – @SethBuechley
- Business Done Right Podcast
- The 12 Week Year by Brian P. Moran
Cool things about Seth
- He is the founder of the Safer Building Coalition, co-founder of Umpqua Strong and an active member of the Young President Organisation.
- He lives in Southern Oregon with his wife of 27 years and their four children.
- He enjoys snowboarding, skiing, mountain biking, motorcycles, and spending time at his family home in Costa Rica.