Roy Osing, Be Audacious and Different OR Be Dead – InnovaBuzz 528
Roy Osing, Be Different or Be Dead
Our guest in this episode is Roy Osing, a former president, CMO and entrepreneur with over 40 years of successful and unmatched executive leadership experience in every aspect of business.
As President of a major data and internet company, his leadership and audacious ‘unheard-of ways’ took the company from its early stage to $1 Billion in annual sales.
He is a resolute blogger, keen content marketer, dedicated teacher and mentor to young professionals. As an accomplished business advisor, he is the author of the no-nonsense book series “BE DiFFERENT or be dead.”
In our conversation Roy talked to me about
- Strategic game planning focused on execution
- Hiring for culture via his Goosebump method
- Differentiating yourself through “only” rather than “best”
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastExecution is critical – a mediocre plan executed is better than a fantastic plan. A plan without execution is a dream. @RoyOsing on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Roy Osing
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Execution is critical – a mediocre plan executed is better than a fantastic plan. A plan without execution is a dream.
- Spend 20% of time planning and 80% of time executing.
- Marketing should be “nose to nose”.
- Organizations need highly effective reactive cultures that can embrace uncertainty and plan within that.
- Roy’s planning framework has 3 questions: How big do you want to grow? Who are you going to serve? How are you going to compete and win?
- Executing a strategic plan requires strong leadership where micromanagement is key.
- An audacious leader puts their fingerprint on the strategic plan and its execution.
- Customer service focus requires caring and emotional drive.
- You can’t “chat-bot-ize” customer service. It’s lazy, humiliating and intellectually dishonest.
- Customer service call centers should really be called loyalty centers.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Roy’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Step out of the herd and discover your strengths.
- Best thing for new ideas – Experiment and try things and communicate with simplicity to get people on board. Keep the passion alive.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Lessons from rock band The Grateful Dead.
- Keep project/client on track – Have an execution plan and a “strategy hawk” who monitors and micromanages the execution.
- Differentiate – Define what you are “The Only….” at.
Step outside of what you’ve been taught in the past, and think about what you’ve heard here about being different. Decide whether it’s something that you could subscribe to.
Give it a try. Tomorrow, do one thing different to stand out. Experience it and discover for yourself, the joy and the benefits and the merits of doing it, and then tell other people, and let’s get a “Be Different or Be Dead” splinter movement in the world that lives and exists to differentiate themselves from the crowd.
You can reach out and thank Roy through his website or email.
Roy suggested we have a conversation with Jon Basso, the owner of the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas on a future InnovaBuzz Podcast episode.
- Website – Be Different or Be Dead
- Twitter – @RoyOsing
- Books: Be Different or Be Dead
Cool Things About Roy
- Roy’s original work, Your Business Survival Guide, was recognized by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as “… one of the top business books in the U.S.
- As president of a major data and internet company, his leadership and audacious unheard-of methods and practices took the company from its early stage to a $1 Billion in annual sales..