Mike Moll, How to Turn Your Skillset into a Sustainable Business – InnovaBuzz 372
Mike Moll, Market Me Consulting
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Mike Moll of Market Me Consulting. He is a strategy and marketing consultant who helps executives and entrepreneurs turn their skillset into a sustainable consulting business. Mike is also the host of the Market Me podcast, a strategy podcast that covers marketing, content strategy, and business development.
In our discussion, Mike talked to me about:
- Solving problems that people have right now
- The importance of good systems and processes
- The use of videos to build a personal connection and differentiate yourself
Karan Nijhawan in episode 333 introduced us to Mike.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastBuilding relationships and real connections are the catalyst to longevity. @MikeAjMoll on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Mike Moll of Market Me Consulting
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- The ability to adapt your products and to pivot based on people’s current needs and solving that problem is huge.
- Narrow down your offer. Learn to say NO.
- Building relationships and real connections are the catalysts to longevity.
- Real relationships make a big difference in how people feel for you.
- The key in marketing is to make someone feel blown away just by communicating with you.
- Sales become amazing and easy when you’re a good match for what people need and you’ve already “WOWed” them in your early communication.
- People are going to vet you in whatever way they want to vet you. Make sure that when you put out your content they are going to look at you and think that you are in it to win it.
- People can see through advertising. They see it when you’re trying to push them into a sale. No matter how you try and mask it, they will always know.
- Be a resource. Be helpful. Be handy, and be trusted. So that when the time comes that a person knows you’re pushing a sale, they can say YES to you very easily.
- Put out things that are helpful and practical without expecting anything back. It’s amazing what actually comes back from it.
- Ideas and content are almost a commodity at this point. Everyone has a take on it. Make sure that you’re putting out content that stands out and resonates with your people.
- Sell your vision. Sell the results, not the task. Sell the benefit and not the features.
- Think about who you are selling to. Start with what is a win and what is a loss for them.
- Understand the person you are specifically selling to. Understand what a perfect customer experience looks like for them and how that impacts their day to day, and make sure that you package yourself as something that creates those results rather than just someone who does the job.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Mike’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Trust your gut and not what is recognised as the thing to do. Be disruptive to yourself. Find ways to challenge your comfort zone.
- Best thing for new ideas – Look at other businesses in completely different industries.
- Favourite tool for innovation – AirTable, Bonjoro, Active Campaign
- Keep project/client on track – Think about the number one reason why people leave. Educate your clients. Make sure that each of them understand how things work, and build materials and resources to educate them about what’s going on.
- Differentiate – Take the time to send meaningful correspondence. Build the relationship.
To Be a Leader
Nobody cares about what you are doing. Take the time to think outside the box because the best way we do marketing and business is going to change dramatically and rapidly over the next couple of years. There’s going to be a different set of leads and demands, and now is the time to think about what you need to do differently, what will make you stand out, and how you can make an impact.
Mike suggested we have a conversation with Entrepreneur, Writer and Podcaster, Simon Hall. So Simon, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Mike Moll.
- Website – Market Me Consulting
- Podcast – Market Me Podcast
- Twitter – @MikeAJMoll
Cool Things About Mike
- He’s the Head of Social Media and Content Strategy of ColorShadow Communications.
- He’s has worked with over 100 business owners in the past 7 years.