Karan Nijhawan, Events that Build Lasting Relationships – InnovaBuzz 333
Karan Nijhawan, JUBE
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Karan Nijhawan of Jube. He runs “dinners” to bring teams and entrepreneurs closer together by diving into meaningful and vulnerable conversations. Karan believes that relationships are the best investment you can make and has found a way to create psychological safety, an environment of vulnerability and to unlock conversations that lead to transformational moments for his participants.
In our discussion, Karan and I talked about:
- Why traditional networking events are “broken” because they focus so much on transactions
- How he creates the safe environment and enables participants of his events share meaningful conversations and deep connection
- The important but often neglected parts of pre-event preparation and post-event follow up.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastNetworking lets you meet really cool people but the real prize is the quality of the conversations you make. @karanNL on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Karan Nijhawan of JUBE
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Networking lets you meet really cool people but the real prize is the quality of the conversations you make.
- Nothing good happens at the surface. It doesn’t matter who you are talking to. If your conversations are not going deep, then by default, these interactions remain at the surface level.
- You get so many more conversations when you don’t lead with “what do you do?”
- You are the average of the five people you surround with, but if you surround yourself with five other people who are further ahead of you and have more wisdom and experience than you, you are going to start to level up because you get hangout with superstars.
- There are lots of little tactics and strategies to make an experience not all about you but all about your guests/participants.
- Transparency is a big thing. It is the key ingredient that makes every single event feel very vulnerable and authentic the moment it starts.
- Treat people as human beings and not as an opportunity or a pipeline for the future.
- Plan your event like a story.
- Dinner is so much more than just a dinner. There are so many intricacies of a well-executed event from the music to the food to the type of conversations and questions you are going to have.
- People connect over food in the same way that they also connect over music. Pair the music you are going to use with the emotion you are trying to invoke.
- Human resource is no longer just about recruiting, hiring, and benefits. It’s about employee happiness, productivity, and retention.
- Everybody has a network. Everybody has people in their lives that they need to revive their relationships with.
- Invest 2 hours and host a virtual dinner with the people that matter most to you. That is the true definition of catching up with somebody and not just a quick 15-minute Zoom call.
- Relationships are the best investment you can make.
- There are so many aspects of communication that gets lost in an email or text that can be avoided altogether by a 30-60 seconds video.
- The worst thing that you can do as a business owner is to think that you are doing an amazing job.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Karan’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Add more video touch to your business. Show more of your face to the people that matter to you.
- Best thing for new ideas – Be OK with not knowing the answer. Don’t be afraid to say “I don’t know.”
- Favourite tool for innovation – Video camera
- Keep project/client on track – Build the future with them. Don’t just propose an idea or solution. Have a two-way conversation every step of the way. Organise weekly meetings and stick to what you said you are going to do.
- Differentiate – Share your struggles publicly. People connect with businesses and with you as person when they know you are also going through the struggles and heartaches.
To Be a Leader
Be OK with the downtimes of life. Be OK with silence. Remove your filters.
Karan suggested we have a conversation with Brandi Leifso of Evio Beauty Group. So Brandi, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Karan Nijhawan.
Want to build a powerful and influential network? Get access to JUBE’s 40 Deep Questions that will help you create stronger relationships in your personal and business life.
Cool Things About Karan
- He graduated with a Dean’s List distinction.
- He has held over 150+ dinners for entrepreneurs and companies, to help create company culture and build community.
- He’s the creator of Stronger Employee Happiness.