Dr Michelle Mazur, 3 Word Rebellion: How 3 Words Can Change Everything in Your Business – InnovaBuzz 393
Dr Michelle Mazur, 3 Word Rebellion
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Dr. Michelle Mazur, who works with brilliant business owners who are shaking things up but having trouble talking about it. She combines the tools of successful social movements with the qualitative research skills she earned in her Communication Ph.D. to help them craft their powerful, captivating message.
As the author of the 3 Word Rebellion and featured in Fast Company, Entrepreneur, and Inc., Michelle knows that speaking about what you do in a clear and captivating way is the key to reaching the people you could help the most and making more money in your business.
In our discussion, Michelle talked to me about:
- Client journeys and the conversations that we need to have
- An intense focus on your audience, to guide your communication
- How words really do matter!
Lacy Boggs in episode 359 introduced us to Michelle.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastEthical marketing is based on empathy and making real connections, as well building real relationships instead of thinking about that fastest way to earn money. @DrMichelleMazur on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Dr Michelle Mazur, author of 3 Word Rebellion
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Communication can change the world.
- Stop thinking about yourself. Focus on your audience – what they are saying, what they are doing, and how they are feeling so that you can make that connection and start using their words to describe what you do.
- All good communication comes back to thinking about the person on the receiving end and what they need to hear.
- Customers’ words are everywhere.
- When you have your audience’s words, writing a sales page becomes easier because you know exactly what is on their minds.
- Bro marketing uses psychological triggers and hacks, like scarcity and authority, to shut down critical thinking to manipulate people into buying.
- Ethical marketing is creating your own philosophy and personal framework around your ethical principles and applying those to your messaging and marketing strategy to make sure that you are giving people the ability to make a purchasing decision that is best for them.
- Ethical marketing is based on empathy and making real connections, as well as building real relationships instead of thinking about the fastest way to earn money.
- Bro marketing tactics create buyer’s remorse.
- Be clear about the core principles that are guiding how you market and sell.
- Give your clients the free will to make the best purchasing decision.
- Follow the research. Spend some time learning what research says about a how effective a certain technique is.
- Words matter. What you say to people impacts their brains and bodies. People feel it and it can change people.
- Setting a deadline is one of the ways to use scarcity ethically. Deadlines create urgency and help people decide whether they want something or not.
- The 3 Word Rebellion is a one-of-a-kind message that demands your audience’s attention. It is short. It makes them curious and wanting to know more.
- Humans do not have the brain power to hold on to something that is more than 3 words. 3 Word Rebellion can be 2-5 words, but 3 is the optimum number, because it helps make a pattern in our heads. Having a message that is really short and memorable that other people can spread for you is key.
- How to Craft a 3 Word Rebellion:
- Start with free writing – get what you’re thinking out on paper, and don’t edit anything as you do so.
- Analyse your words for interesting phrases and verbs that stand out. Then, think about the themes that are arising from it.
- Start finding your 3 Word Rebellion, and test it out with a small subset of your audience.
- Your 3 Word Rebellion already exists. It is in the conversations you are having with your clients and colleagues. It’s in the podcast interviews you’ve done and the blog posts you’ve written. It’s just smashed in with some other stuff and you just need to excavate it.
- Focus on your client’s journey in order to craft a message that is all about helping your clients, and is focused on their best interests and results. Think about the stages that your clients go through and the conversations that you need to have, so they can make a decision that your service is right for them.
- You know your ideal client more than you think you do.
- There’s a difference between a tactic and what the message really is.
- Commit to one core piece of content and one social media channel. You don’t have to be everywhere.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Michelle’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Do something different in your day. Take a new path. Try something new that challenges your brain in a different way.
- Best thing for new ideas – Give your ideas a lot of space so that it can percolate and come through.
- Favourite tool for innovation – 750Words.com
- Keep project/client on track – Regular check-ins. Seeing what’s going well and what they need help with.
- Differentiate – Craft a 3 Word Rebellion. Use your words to differentiate yourself. Think carefully about that and what you want to be known for.
To Be a Leader
Words matter. How you speak about what you do matters. It matters to your potential clients. It’s how they are going to connect with you. Your message is one of the hardest working employees in your business. It is there 24/7 a day. Always remember that your words matter and it is worth putting the effort in to make sure that they are remembered, and that they resonate so that you can serve more people.
Michelle suggested we have a conversation with Michelle Evans of Profit without Worry. So Michelle, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Dr Michelle Mazur.
- Website – Dr Michelle Mazur
- Podcast – Rebel Uprising
- Twitter – @DrMichelleMazur
Cool Things About Michelle
- She’s the mother of three kittens — Attie, Brodie, and Samson.
- Her favorite TV shows are The Handmaid’s Tale, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones, and Santa Clarita Diet.
- She’s a huge Duran Duran fan. She’s seen them over 50 times in concert.