Genein Letford, Intercultural Creativity – How to Be Creative Together – InnovaBuzz 525
Genein Letford, CAFFE Strategies
Our guest in this episode is Genein Letford, Founder and Chief Creative Officer of CAFFE Strategies, LLC. Genein is a national thought leader and creator of the concept of ‘Intercultural Creativity®’. Her 7 Gems of Intercultural Creativity is a leading framework that encourages corporations in their diversity and inclusion development while developing critical cognitive tools for creative thinking. Genein believes creative thinking thrives best in an inclusive environment and she is often called ‘America’s Creative Coach’ for her work in reigniting intercultural creativity within our workforce.
In our conversation Genein talked to me about
- How we are all creative and should keep reminding ourselves of that;
- How we can connect to the creative arts to enhance our Intercultural Creativity;
- Always being curious.
Cait Donovan in episode 512 introduced us to Genein.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastEmpathy sits on your ability to be self-aware, to understand your own emotions and actions. @geneinletford on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Genein Letford, CAFFE Strategies
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Intercultural Creativity is an idea whose time is now.
- Intercultural creativity allows us to work on things that can be cutting down our creativity, the way we see ourselves and the way we see other people.
- We all have influence over other peoples’ emotional states, wellbeing and creativity.
- Be careful about your language when talking to others, because you are telling yourself the same thing. “I can’t…..” can be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Creative arts like music can help develop your communication skills as well as creativity. Listening is great, creating is even better. Arts training helps in non-arts areas – better observation skills, divergent thinking, unusual associations.
- Allowing your brain to “wander” and using your imagination is key to innovation.
- Creative ideas can come from anyone in an organization – it’s important to create an environment where people feel safe to ask curious questions.
- Our brains are literally changing structures when we share each other’s stories and perspective shift with one another.
- Our brains are a “predicting machine”. We love routines. Going outside of that, to a creative space, requires more energy. So rest, health and general well being is critical.
- Some genuine rest – time away from work, from devices – helps our inner creativity.
- Make conscious choices how you use your time – I do things that bring me joy and are part of my purpose.
- Empathy sits on your ability to be self-aware, to understand your own emotions and actions.
- We are better together and more creative together.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Genein’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Believe that you are innovative, then just do it.
- Best thing for new ideas – Travel and observe, even in my local environment.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Props and play dough.
- Keep project/client on track – Focus on purpose.
- Differentiate – Look at your struggles in a new way – shift your perspective about that and share them. They can be a gateway for someone else to come into their freedom.
Your creativity is NOT for you. It’s for me, for them, for everyone out there. So share it, because you are blessing us and those who are yet to come!
You can reach out and thank Genein through her websites.
Genein suggested we have a conversation with Health Strategist & Advocate, Artist, Educator, Justus Harris on a future InnovaBuzz Podcast episode.
- Website – Genein Letford
- Website – Caffe Strategies
- Twitter – @geneinletford
- Podcast – Create and Grow
- TED-Ed Video – How playing an instrument benefits your brain
- Video – An Artistic Expression of Freedom – Redemption Song – Intercultural Creativity – The Kanneh-Masons
Cool Things About Genein
- Genein is the 2019 LA Lakers Business Woman and the 2015 CA Charter Teacher of the Year.
- Genein is Founder and Executive Director of Alumni360, a mentoring group for high achieving students from low-income backgrounds.
- Genein started her career as a primary teacher.