Christina Torres, Copywriting That Makes a Difference – InnovaBuzz 307
Christina Torres, Copywriting That Makes a Difference
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Christina Torres, copywriter and content creator, Chief Creative Officer at Run & Tell That and co-host of the Bagels & Plantains Podcast. Christina believes that every entrepreneur and small business has a unique and fascinating story to tell. She helps turn out the messages and turn up the conversions you’ve always wanted to, but haven’t had the time to.
In our discussion, Christina and I talked about:
- Talking to people who you want to serve and providing what they want (not what you want for them)
- Some tips for writing how you speak – your authentic, unique voice, and
- The importance of having empathy with your audience
Prerna Malik in episode 265 introduced us to Christina.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastIf you have a unique voice, a very unique product and you solve a very unique problem, you deserve to have big visibility. @WanderLoveTNS Christina Torres on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Christina Torres of Run & Tell That
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- There’s so much you know that you don’t realise you know.
- If you have a unique voice, a very unique product and you solve a very unique problem, you deserve to have big visibility.
- Write for people that inspire your own work.
- Give your audience what they want and try not to be crappy giver. Find ways to make it more thoughtful.
- People are already in a course fatigue. Empathise with them and give them permission to not show up. Empathise with them.
- Think about your product before you start writing copy.
- At the end of the day, it’s experience over copy. Think of ways to empathise with your audience and make their experience different. You can provide the best copy in the world, but you need to convey that in a way that tells your audience that their time is valuable and that your goal is to provide them with the best experience.
- Copywriting is not about what you want your audience to want. It’s about what they want and what they actually need.
- Talk to the people you want to serve and start building those relationships.
- As we come out of this situation, we won’t be thinking about return on investment, rather, we’ll start thinking about return on relationship.
- You can make things that people want and write things that people need.
- Every day is an uncertain time. Every month is an uncertain time.
- Now is the time to give your audience free content. Start warming them up for when they are ready to take what you offer.
- Copywriting is not just about writing beautifully. Copywriting is human. It’s understanding how people work, how they think, and what they need.
- People pleasing is a form of manipulation. If you’re always in the state if pleasing people, you’re manipulating people to think that you have all the skills that you can possibly have at your disposal, and that all of your time belongs to them. It’s like putting up a facade to someone that you’ve got everything covered and that nothing about you is important.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Christina’s answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Take a break. There’s only so much content and only so much learning that you can consume. Stay still, be quiet, and know that you probably have the answers inside of you.
- Best thing for new ideas – Talking to people.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Copyhackers, Copy School, and Cosmopolitan
- Keep project/client on track – Setting boundaries for yourself and for your clients. Know what you can do with your time.
- Differentiate – Be yourself. Don’t be scared to take a stand. Don’t pretend that you want to save the world, when you can only save a few.
To Be a Leader
If you’re not sure what your voice is, the only way you’re going to find out is to start writing and put it out there. There really is no other way. You may want this fancy voice or this fancy message but at the end of the day, it has to be your voice, and the only way to get there is to start using it.
Christina suggested I interview personal branding expert, Tamara Glick. So Tamara, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Christina Torres.