Christina Canters, Communicate With Confidence, Influence, and Impact – InnovaBuzz 268
Christina Canters, The C Method
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Christina Canters, a speaker, podcast host and communication skills trainer. A former architect, she started her business The C Method to help high performing professionals and business owners dramatically increase their influence, confidence and impact at work, through learning powerful communication techniques. Her training encompasses public speaking, confidence-building, effective workplace communication, as well as trust & relationship building.
In our discussion, Christina and I talked about:
- The importance of mindset to confidence
- Using storytelling to build engagement and interest
- Her “secret” tip to relax, be yourself and present yourself confidently on camera and on a microphone, even when no audience is present.
Vivian Goh in episode 241 introduced us to Christina.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the Podcast
Show Notes from this episode with Christina Canters, Director of The C Method
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Communication is a skill that can be learnt.
- Being able to communicate effectively is a valuable skill.
- In order for your business to be successful, your target market must be willing to pay for what you’re selling and be able to pay for what you’re selling.
- A lot of the fear of public speaking stems from the fear of rejection and judgement.
- It always starts with the mind. Ask yourself what story do you have for yourself at the moment.
- Thinking that you have to be more knowledgeable than your audience creates a lot of anxiety. You don’t have to be perfect. You don’t have to prove your knowledge because you can’t possibly know absolutely everything about a topic.
- It’s not about you. Take the focus off yourself and make it about your audience.
- Doing interviews is a great way to getting comfortable behind the microphone, but if you’re aiming to increase your credibility and your influence as an expert in an area through your podcast, then, a solo podcast is the best way to achieve that.
- Practice will get you there. Don’t think that you are going to be great from the get-go. It takes time. Your first few will not be so great but you have to do it to continue to build up your skill and your confidence.
- Know your audience. In order for a business to be successful, you have to know your target market really well.
- Think about your audience as a single person.
- Create great content and always start with great quality.
- Tell everyone about your podcast. When people ask what you do, tell them you have a podcast. When they ask you what it’s called, don’t just tell them the title of your podcast. Show it to them. Find your show on their phone. Hit subscribe. If you want to be cheeky, you can leave yourself a 5-star review in iTunes.
- Include your podcast’s link in your email signature. and make sure that you have a link to your podcast on your homepage menu.
- Ask people for reviews via email.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Christina’s answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Reaching out to people.
- Best thing for new ideas – Listening to your audience and always asking them great questions. Until you ask your audience and find out from them, you are only guessing.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Books
- Keep project / client on track – Checking-in and communicating the check-ins at the start when you work with them.
- Differentiate – Get out there, speak, and tell your story! What really differentiates you is your story and your background.
To Be a Leader
Always remain open to new ideas that you might see from others. Building upon the ideas that other people have put out there and creating your own spin on it is a beautiful way to be innovative. You don’t have to come up with new things all the time. Often the best ideas come from the conversations we have with others.
You can reach out and thank Christina through her website.
Christina suggested I interview Jason Soultan of the NO/BS Conference. So Jason, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Christina Canters.
- Website – Christina Canters
- Website – The C Method
- Podcast Services Australia
- Stand Out Get Noticed
- Twitter – @CJCanters
- Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine by Mike Michalowicz
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level by Gay Hendricks
- The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self by Vince Posecente
Cool things about Christina
- She has personally produced over 250 podcast episodes, amassing over 1,000,000 downloads
- She does CrossFit.
- She grew up in Melbourne, Australia.