Anna Addoms, How to Achieve Your Business Goals by Building the Right Team – InnovaBuzz 388
Anna Addoms, Wicked Marvelous
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Anna Addoms of Wicked Marvelous. Anna has fifteen years of start-up operations, technology, and marketing experience in mobile, luxury, and advertising sectors. She has served as the Director of Marketing and Partner Relations and managed a client portfolio with an average $20M per year budget.
Anna was most recently the Vice President, Marketing & Operations for eMind Science Corp, a health-tech platform focused on the intersection of mobile technology and mental health. She founded Wicked Marvelous in 2012 to help small companies, start-ups, and entrepreneurs get their brand, platforms, and messaging out to their audiences and jumpstart growth.
In our discussion, Anna talked to me about:
- Why it’s critical to have a good onboarding process for your team
- Reducing overwhelm to focus on your genius zone
- The importance of being your authentic self and enjoying the process of working towards your goals
Karan Nijhawan in episode 333 introduced us to Anna.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastLearn as you go. Get your fingers on everything for a while to clearly understand how something is done before hiring somebody to do it for you. @WickedMarvelous on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Anna Addoms of Wicked Marvelous
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- You are not alone. It’s not a solo journey as much as you call yourself a solopreneur.
- Set up a step-by-step plan and track everything with a deadline. People get it done when there is a deadline, whereas if you leave it vague, it never happens.
- Know the steps you are working on. Reduce each big piece into smaller chunks that will make it easier for people to recognise, consume, and produce an output.
- Help your clients understand what they need to focus on as well as the things that you can do for them.
- Not everything has to happen at the same time and you don’t have to do it all at the same time.
- Having a support staff is super important. When you take off the weight of all the stuff that someone else can do at a much lower cost than your time, it allows you to focus on the things that you are really good at and the things that are growing your business as a whole.
- When onboarding a team member, do things with them in the beginning for them to get to know you and your business really well. See them in action and learn enough from them. Getting to know each other is one of the best ways for you to know what’s going on in your business, to scale sustainably, and feel confident in the people you hired.
- Set a defined timeline. Depending on how big your organisation is, there should be a day or two where all the logistical stuff gets sorted out.
- Learn as you go. Get your fingers on everything for a while to clearly understand how something is done before hiring somebody to do it for you. By having a clear understanding of what you are looking for, you can then write a more detailed job description and SOP’s.
- Give people a chance to adapt content and knowledge in the same way that you, as a business owner, have to give yourself an opportunity to learn. Let them absorb all the information you are throwing at them. Add one or two things to the building blocks every week or two.
- Every SOP has to have a detailed video and a written process.
- When you are not niching down, you are always learning.
- Broadening your community and being an active part of your community are great ways to scale your business and your personal life.
- When you’re stuck, take a step back and look at the big picture. Walk away from whatever it is that you are doing because that is usually when the roadblock goes away.
- Take a digital detox regularly.
- Don’t rush it. If you are really passionate about it, take the time to enjoy the process. If you rush through something, you miss the fun of building it and experiencing it.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Anna’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Get away from your computer. Leave your technology behind. Breakthrough moments happen when you are not focused on a screen.
- Best thing for new ideas – Talking to new people. A new perspective can always change anything.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Woven.
- Keep project/client on track – Project Management System.
- Differentiate – Be yourself. Be your authentic self and hold on to that. Own your voice. When you are being yourself, your passion comes through.
To Be a Leader
Enjoy the process and be yourself.
You can reach out and thank Anna through their website.
Cool Things About Anna
- She holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in English Literature (Professional Writing) from the University of Colorado.
- She speaks English, French, Italian, and Spanish.
- She loves traveling, reading, and baking.