Adam Murray, Subtle Disruptors – InnovaBuzz 219
Adam Murray, Subtle Disruptors
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Adam Murray of Cogent and host of the Subtle Disruptors Podcast. Adam describes himself as an organisational artist and he’s all about creating human-centered organisations, that allow people to flourish and in doing that, become successful.
In our discussion, Adam talked to me about:
- Self-managed versus self-organising structures, what is the difference
- How to setup an organisation and culture where people really flourish and as a result do better work and create better experiences for themselves, their organisation and their customers
- His opportunity tree approach
Adam Ashton on episode 187 suggested we interview Adam.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastOrganisations that prioritise growth create amazing places for people to work. Adam Murray @SubtleDisruptor on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Adam Murray, host of the Subtle Disruptors Podcast
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Growth is the fundamental motivation of humans.
- Organisations that prioritise growth create amazing places for people to work. These organisations benefit from what their people bring into the world and remain relevant.
- Transparency is important. It is important for organisations to create a culture where people feel safe to talk about things and make decisions for the business.
- A person’s well-being is a powerful thing. A person’s well-being should be valued and considered more highly than any sort of revenue they can bring in.
- The Opportunity Tree approach is all about designing what you are trying to achieve and the governing ideas that can help you achieve that.
- There is no such thing as a bad idea.
- All of us have the ability to make a change. It may not be a big step but something that is within our reach. Those subtle changes in aggregate can amount to something really significant over a period of time.
- Starting with one thing enables a lot of other things to build upon it.
- Building an organisation that is mindful of the broader context we are creating starts with being human-centered.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Adam’s answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Be an excellent listener. It starts with being a good listener to ourselves. Innovation comes from listening and having the ability to sense what is emerging from all that.
- Best thing for new ideas – Butcher’s paper and Sharpies. Writing or drawing whatever I am thinking about.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Journal, The Art of Sway, IA Writer, and Trello.
- Keep project / client on track – Communication. Short feedback loops and creating intermediate deadlines.
- Differentiate – Spend time understanding what is important to you and the experiences that you have. Define your own measure of success.
Adam suggested I interview Corey Wastle, a financial coach and Founder of Verse Wealth. So Corey, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Adam Murray.
Cool things about Adam
- He is a Co-founder of a breath mint company called Roy Mint Co.
- He holds a Masters Degree in Social Science.
- He has traveled a lot in Africa and India.