Yaro Starak, How to Build Content Around Your Big Idea – InnovaBuzz 362
Yaro Starak, InboxDone
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Yaro Starak an online entrepreneur earning a full-time income from the internet since 2004. Yaro is the co-founder of Blog Mastermind and InboxDone. He is a serial-entrepreneur, angel investor and travels the world while running his businesses. Yaro is also the host of the Yaro Podcast.
In our discussion, Yaro talked to me about:
- Building content around your big idea with both personality and an emotional connection to your audience
- How we can use our experiences to share stories and help others
- Seeing email as a way to just talk to people and building relationships
Gideon Shalwick in episode 315 introduced us to Yaro.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastStart with a platform that you feel natively comfortable and excited to use, and start building a solid following there. @YaroStarak on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Yaro Starak, Co-Founder of InboxDone
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Build on each phase of your success to gain more confidence to do better things each time.
- You need to get your mind right in order to succeed in whatever it is that you want to do.
- Keep putting your ideas out there and you’ll get better as you go along.
- Community comes from helping people.
- Foster your community through content by being supportive and sharing your expertise.
- Start with a platform that you feel natively comfortable and excited to use, and start building a solid following there.
- If you like writing, you can start a blog as your focus point, but you need to write in other places too to grow your audience.
- If you love to podcast, make sure that you are maintaining your own podcast, but get out there and do podcast exchanges. Go on other people’s shows where you have the opportunity to be the expert and not always the person doing the interview.
- There’s a lot of ways to use any content format to reach an audience.
- A big idea is a cornerstone concept that you represent as a solution to a problem.
- A case study represents your big idea through people you have helped in the past.
- Personality is the one thing that you can inject into your content that no one can replicate. It gives you a way to stand out.
- Personality defines the era of the influencer. It is what makes influencers an influencer.
- In order to stand out and really build a following, find your format, mix in your core of positioning your big idea, and inject your personality.
- Manage your expectations to overcome impostor syndrome. Instead of targeting a certain amount of income or a certain number of customers buying your program, target the experience that you go through to create and launch a product.
- Remind yourself that you are the one helping all these people. It is their choice to show up and be helped if they want to or not.
- Email is still the single most responded medium on the planet in terms of people taking action.
- An email is a way to make friends. The right people open your emails because they have connected with you on an emotional level. They see you as a friend or as a person they should pay attention to because you provide value.
- Evergreen campaigns slowly die if you don’t bring new people into it.
- Marketing is an evolution. All these things in marketing can work if the right ingredients are there.
- Automation is good but we need to remember that customers are not software but human beings.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Yaro’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Look for problems that are not solved well.
- Best thing for new ideas – Ask questions.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Other people and processes.
- Keep project/client on track – Set deadlines and identify constraints. Look at what is stopping you from getting something done to help you see where you need to focus on.
- Differentiate – Personality plus specialisation.
To Be a Leader
Look at what you do during the day and ask yourself what is something in this list of activities that you are really not the right person to do it and might be better done by someone else. One of the biggest constraints to scale is figuring out what you can do or build to get leverage, and making sure that you are not the one stopping that from being created.
You can reach out and thank Yaro through his website.
Yaro suggested we have a conversation with Claire Giovino, the other co-founder of InboxDone. So Clarie, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Yaro Starak.
- Website – Yaro Starak
- Website – InboxDone
- Website – Blog Mastermind
- Podcast – Yaro Podcast
- Twitter – @YaroStarak
Cool Things About Yaro
- He started his first online business as a teenager in 1998, an e-commerce website selling collectible cards.
- He has invested in over 25 startup companies and continues to invest through syndicates and directly.
- He’s the Co-Founder of Pure Power, a solar energy startup in Ukraine.