Matt Mueller, Simplifying Innovation through Mindfulness – InnovaBuzz 549
Matt Mueller, The Mindful Innovator
Our guest in this episode is Matt Mueller who has over 20 years of experience in the retail & consumer packaged goods industry and has always been fascinated with one question; Why? This fascination led him to a role in corporate innovation helping him to bring structure, clarity & deep insights to the forefront. Spending thousands of hours in the homes of customers and shopping alongside them,
Matt has been able to unlock some of the biggest business challenges, creating great change for corporations to non-profits. Matt realized how difficult it was to innovate and used mindfulness to help better understand challenges and overcome obstacles. He is now a columnist for Innovation Leader, a top publishing company in the Innovation space, and is helping shed light on how others can innovate within their organizations. For the last 3 years, Matt has explored the intersection of Innovation & Mindfulness to help anyone create great change and has written a book called The Mindful Innovator. His book is due out in early 2023 and will provide anyone who wants to create change the tools they need to do it.
In our conversation, Matt talked to me about:
- how we can simplify innovation through mindfulness
- uncovering the real opportunity
- motivating others through a seatbelt moment
Listen to the PodcastWe often over-complicate innovation, yet there is no need to. We can simplify it. Mindful innovation is innovating with clear purpose. @MattFMueller on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Matt Mueller, The Mindful Innovator
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- We often over-complicate innovation, yet there is no need to. We can simplify it.
- The strongest motivator of change is one that’s connected to a visceral emotional feeling.
- Mindful innovation is about bringing awareness into the decisions we make and really observing what’s happening in the world, rather than innovating for the sake of innovation.
- Mindful innovation is innovating with clear purpose.
- We need to be really clear about what problems need to be solved, rather than those that are “nice” to solve for our own gratification.
- Talking with potential customers, asking mindful questions and really listening is the best way to identify their most pressing problems.
- Innovation needs to be part of the values of an organisation.
- Communicating in a genuine way that builds an emotional connection is the quickest way to bring people on board for new innovations.
- We need a stimulus to spark innovation, so observation is critical.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Matt’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- 1 thing to be more innovative – Be aware of what’s happening around you and why you are making the decisions you are making.
- Best thing for new ideas – Meditation. Clearing my mind.
- Favourite tool for innovation – My small notebook. Write down anything that inspires me.
- Keep project/client on track – Regular, purposeful and frequent communication. Encapsulate high energy moments and share frequently.
- Differentiate – Genuinely care about solving other people’s problems.
Be more aware of what we are doing and what is happening around us. Challenge your routines and explore little things that you can change.
You can reach out and thank Matt through LinkedIn.
Matt suggested we have a conversation with Martin Lindstrom, the founder and chairman of Lindstrom Company on a future InnovaBuzz Podcast episode.
- Website – The Mindful Innovator
- Guided Meditation – The 3P’s to Mindful Innovation
- Twitter – @MattFMueller
Cool Things About Matt
- Matt has recorded a Mindful Innovation Meditation Series to go along with his book.
- Matt is a board member of Yes Liberia Youth Empowerment Services.
If you’d like a peek behind the curtain, of this show, go to innovabiz.co/flywheel – there you’ll be able to get your very own Digital Token which will give you membership of the Flywheel Nation Community, where you’ll have direct access to our amazing podcast guests, as well as a short audio program that walks you through the entire InnovaBuzz Podcasting Process. We have minted just 30 copies of this digital token so get in quick before they’re snapped up!