Laban Ditchburn, The World’s Best Statement: A Guide to Defining Your True Purpose – Innova.Buzz 582
Laban Ditchburn, Ditchburn Empire Inc.
Our guest in this episode is Laban Ditchburn, author of Bet on You, speaker, podcast host and creator of the Podcasting Heroes Movement. His mission is to be known as the world’s most positively influential speaker, by being the world’s best courage coach.
Laban shares his powerful journey of overcoming addiction, limiting beliefs, and destructive behavior to become the best version of himself. Along the way, he discovered the importance of embracing authenticity, taking bold action, and reclaiming power over past experiences. Here are three key points from our inspiring conversation:
- The importance of taking action and setting aside fear to turn ideas into reality;
- The power of forgiveness and ideas to avoid taking ourselves too seriously and ceding power to our past experiences;
- Laban also suggests developing a “world’s best statement”, defining your true purpose.
Chris Michel, who was our guest on Episode 521 introduced us to Laban.
Listen to the Podcast
Show Notes from this episode with Laban Ditchburn, Ditchburn Empire Inc
- Introduction about the speaker’s background and journey of overcoming destructive behavior
- Importance of taking action and setting aside fear to turn ideas into reality
- Embracing your personality and taking bold action within your authenticity
- Defining your own “world’s best statement” by answering three questions
- Becoming distinctive by operating in alignment with your true purpose for greater fulfillment and efficiency
- The power of forgiveness and using experiences as fuel for healing and growth
- Strategies for avoiding taking ourselves too seriously and giving power to our past experiences
- The importance of being polarizing for attracting the right people and repelling the wrong ones
- Having fun with conversation starters and not trying to serve everyone.
- The power of forgiveness, self-forgiveness and forgiveness for others.
Laban Ditchburn speaks with host Jürgen about his journey through addiction, rock bottom, and finding his life’s purpose. Laban is now a speaker and coach, on a mission to be the world’s most positively influential speaker.
Laban grew up in New Zealand and Australia as a child of divorce. Adopting core values and beliefs and developing limiting and dysfunctional thinking led to destructive behavior, including addiction to drugs, alcohol, and gambling, negative self-talk, an autoimmune disease, and more. At age 35, Laban hit rock bottom and sought help for his addiction to gambling. Since then, he has been sober for seven years and now encourages others to take bold action and overcome fear and negative self-talk.
Laban speaks openly about his past mistakes, flaws, and experiences, which inspires others to share their own stories. He encourages others to use their experiences as fuel and to talk about their struggles for healing and growth. Laban’s wife experienced childhood abuse and had 18 consecutive miscarriages, which were caused by the abuse. She forgave her abusers and went on a healing journey with Laban. The couple uses their experiences to help others move beyond their own trauma.
Laban emphasizes the importance of owning and taking back power over mistakes and trauma. He suggests that even small setbacks can lead to giving away power if we wallow in self-pity, but taking a lighthearted approach can help us move on and take back control. Laban inherited his outrageous personality from his mother and engaged in validation-seeking behavior. He now does things for the impact he wants to have in the world and enjoys talking to people.
One way Laban suggests overcoming doubt and negativity is by answering three questions to develop a “world’s best statement,” which involves defining one’s unique skill set and what truly lights them up. He emphasizes that the statement should be intangible and non-quantifiable and encourages individuals to have fun with the process.
Laban believes that when people operate in alignment with their true purpose, they become energetically aligned with others on the same pathway, and work becomes effortless. Laban worked in IT recruitment for 14 years, which was completely out of alignment with his true purpose, and now encourages others to answer three questions to help them move toward their true purpose:
- What am I the best in the world at or world class at that other people find really challenging?
- Second question is, What do people constantly ask me for advice on?
- The third question is, what is the job that you would do if you had all the money in the world and would completely light your soul on fire?
Laban has helped create 75 World Best Statements with people worldwide. He suggests that being polarizing can attract the right people and repel the wrong ones, saving time. Being clear about your message, and being gentle about explaining your profession can invite more conversation that may lead to business opportunities.
Laban rates the country they are in, India, an “eight” out of ten, and it is his favorite country out of the 30+ they have visited and lived in. The people in the country are warm-hearted, kind, inquisitive, and accommodating, and the hospitality is exceptional. Laban explains that the belief in the country is that when guests enter someone’s home, they bring God with them, so they are treated accordingly.
In conclusion, this episode of Innova.Buzz provides insights into overcoming fear and negativity, finding one’s life purpose, owning past mistakes and trauma, and developing a “world’s best statement.” Laban Ditchburn’s journey, along with his observations on hospitality, polarizing business, and self-improvement, provide a wealth of knowledge on how to be positive, impactful, and successful.The power of forgiveness can lead to ownership and power over your life. #InnovaBuzz #Forgiving #PersonalPower @WBCourageCoach on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Laban’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- 1 thing to be more innovative – Eat more steaks – good diet!
- Best thing for new ideas – Be open-minded and a lifelong learner.
- Favourite resource – Conversations with real life people and podcasts.
- Keep project/client on track – Charge enough so they “show up” and pay attention to feedback. Be honest with them. Be clear about the expectations up front.
- Differentiate – Operate in alignment with your true gifts.
Apply Laban’s 3 question framework to clarify your real purpose.
You can reach out and thank Laban through the Podcasting Heroes website or just search Laban Ditchburn.
Laban suggested we have a conversation with Todd Armstrong, from C-Roc’s Podcast Agency on a future InnovaBuzz Podcast episode.
- Website – Laban Ditchburn
- Website – Podcast Heroes
- Twitter – @WBCourageCoach
- Instagram – @labanditchburn.inc
- Happy on the Inside Podcast – Anna Ditchburn
Cool Things About Laban
- These days he gets his fix from the madness of ultra-marathon running, smashing the glass-ceiling of limiting beliefs and the demolition of a hot carnivore BBQ.
- Continuing his writing, inspiring and transformational speaking, Laban is living his purpose as The World’s Best Courage Coach.
- He lives in the beautiful Riviera Maya of Mexico, with the woman who is responsible for his limitless approach to life, his wife, the bravest person he knows and the future mother of their giant brood of children, Anna.
Trying to serve everyone leads to serving no one. Be polarizing and attract the right people. #InnovaBuzz #Branding #SocialMediaTip @WBCourageCoach on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Imagine being a part of a select community where you not only have access to our amazing podcast guests, but you also get a chance to transform your marketing and podcast into a growth engine with a human-centered, relationship-focused approach.
That’s exactly what you’ll get when you join the Flywheel Nation Community.
Tap into the collective wisdom of high-impact achievers, gain exclusive access to resources, and expand your network in our vibrant community.
Experience accelerated growth, breakthrough insights, and powerful connections to elevate your business.
ACT NOW – secure your spot and transform your journey today! Visit innovabiz.co/flywheel and get ready to experience the power of transformation.