InnovaBuzz Episode #76 – Lolly Daskal, Lead from Within
Lolly Daskal – The Leadership Gap
In this episode, my guest is Lolly Daskal, founder and CEO of Lead from Within, a leadership coaching consultancy. Lolly is a prolific author, who publishes regular contributions in The HBR, The Huffington Post, Inc and Medium among others.
The Huffington Post called Lolly, “One of the Most Inspiring Women in the World.”
This was a really inspiring interview where we talked about the seven archetypes that “live” within all of us and how there two competing polar opposites to each archetype, but only one of those serves us and others in a great leadership capacity.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.Greatness is within every one of us - it is our destiny, so choose it! @LollyDaskal on #InnovaBuzz Podcast Click To Tweet
Listen to the Podcast
Key points and take-aways from this episode with Lolly Daskal:
- In learning about yourself and how you can become the best version of yourself, you gain the capacity to help others. (3:00)
- Asking open-ended questions is the most helpful conversation you can have with others in a way that both provides clarity and empowers them. (4:45)
- All of us have within us strengths, virtues – the seven archetypes defined in Lolly’s new book, The Leadership Gap. These come with a polarity of character and include weaknesses. What you don’t own, owns you. Integrate your strengths with your weaknesses to leverage your greatness. (9:00)
- If we are busy comparing ourselves to others, we’ll never win. “The Rebel” who is successful, measures their success from within. (12:00)
- You can’t have two emotions at the same time. So when faced with the “imposter syndrome”, focus instead on being of service – you can’t be of service and be self-serving at the same time. (13:00)
- Lolly publishes hundreds or articles every week – based on conversations that she has with clients. Her focus is on providing service and insights to her audience, based on an experience or need that one or more client has had. If a client is struggling with something, others likely are too. A great philosophy to publish prolifically. (16:30)
- To succeed in life, it won’t come from your title or your position. It will come from who you are and what you stand for – that’s how people will engage with you, will follow you and will be attracted to you. (21:00)
- If you are stuck, then find someone who you can serve and focus on serving them. You can’t be of service and be stuck at the same time! (25:40)
- Being a perfectionist can prevent you from doing things – strive for excellence instead. Give the best you can offer, bring the best of what you have and excellence can propel you to success. (31:00)
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Lolly’s answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Read every day. Read something that teaches you something new.
- Best thing for new ideas – Read a book a day! I’m smarter today than I was yesterday and it’s been like that for over 3 decades!
- Favourite tool for innovation / productivity – Hootsuite to schedule social media posts, which gives me freedom to connect and be present with people.
- Keep project / client on track – Don’t fix their problems – ask open ended questions instead, and empower them.
- Differentiate – Find out who you really are. Ask – who are you being?
To Be a Leader
Find out who you are and realize that greatness is within you. It’s your destiny. Choose it!
Lolly suggested Kristi Faulkner, president and co-founder of Womenkind, for me to interview on a future InnovaBuzz podcast.
So Kristi, keep an eye on your inbox, for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Lolly Daskal.
- The Leadership Gap – Excerpt
- Book: The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness
Cool things about Lolly
- Of her many awards and accolades, Lolly was designated a
Top-50 Leadership and Management Expert by Inc.com; 100 Great Leadership Speakers for Your Next Conference by Inc. magazine.
- Huffington Post honoured Lolly with the title of One of The Most Inspiring Women in the World.
- Lolly’s preferred Archetype is “Navigator”. But as she points out in the interview, we are a composite of all the Archetypes and should leverage all to be great leaders.
- Lolly was an early adopter of Twitter and now has over 1.29M followers.