Matt Barnett, Bonjoro
In this episode, my guest is Matt Barnett of Bonjoro, a video messaging app that allows you to record one on one personalized video messages for your customers. Matt also runs Verbate, a platform for gathering user generated video in the form of surveys and questionnaires. We are excited to explore the power of videos by having Matt in today’s podcast.
Learn about Bonjoro by listening to the podcast.Creativity is an approach to life… Customer service is a creative process. @bonjoroapp on #InnovaBuzz Click To Tweet
Listen to the Podcast
Key points and take-aways from this episode with Matt Barnett of Bonjoro include:
- Creativity is an approach to life… Customer service is a creative process. You can be creative in any industry and if you are, you’re likely to succeed in differentiating yourself from your competition.
- Bonjoro was born from a customer’s service hack that Matt’s team built for their other product Verbate. Customers liked it so much that they asked to use it themselves.
- Bonjoro integrates directly with most mail automation systems and allows notification of sign-ups, so that you can then send a personalised welcome video when people sign up. This has a massive impact on building trust and helping you stand out.
- Bonjoro’s customers are a good match for their own culture. Using the tool helps connect with customers in a personalised way, so reinforces the culture of relationship building. Understanding their customers right down to their culture level is key for Bonjoro’s success.
- Building the right culture in an organisation is something that needs to be done from the start. Focus on a good culture, it’s one of the best ways to stand out; it helps you hire the right people; it attracts the right customers for your organisation. Culture and brand are closely related. By having the right culture and speaking in the same voice, we can build trust among our teams. The key is to solidify that culture super early on. It will make growth so much easier, and remove bottlenecks.
- If you are not having fun, then stop doing it! If you have a role in an organisation that is not fun, then you are in the wrong role.
- The first step in any hiring should be deciding if the person is the right cultural fit and has beliefs that fit with the culture of the organisation.
- Systems and processes are important to keep everyone aligned and on track in Bonjoro’s organisation. The same systems and processes are used across the two companies Bonjoro and Verbate, which helps make running two startups in parallel a bit more efficient.
- As a company selling a customer success tool and onboarding tool, Bonjoro aims to be the best at it – model for their customers!
- Bonjoro is growing rapidly with hundreds of sign-ups per week! Managing that growth is the one thing that keeps Matt awake at night.
- Happiness comes from striving to achieve something, then achieving it. Growing Bonjoro, growing a team and growing the culture and delivering a fantastic experience to the customers, is what Bonjoro strive to achieve.
- Bonjoro’s vision is to be the most loved brand company in the world, and an example of excellent customer service.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Matt’s answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Question every single thing you do and don’t be complacent.
- Best thing for new ideas – A great team and customers together with a culture where everyone can talk and listen.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Slack as the place where most of our information is – transparency is key. Automation is key too – build as much automation as you can.
- Keep project / client on track – Set deadlines, half the time you think they should be, because often things take twice as long! Don’t assume things are on time, and that people get things correctly. Make sure to follow up.
- Differentiate – Culture and Brand. Define your unique culture. Stand out. Find other individuals and clients in the world that match that culture and you will nail that niche. You have to live that culture and work at it.
To Be a Leader
Creativity and innovation are synonymous. You have to actively remain creative and keep questioning things; that takes headspace. Recovery periods once a month, where you get away from the day to day work and work on the big picture.
Matt suggested Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos for me to interview on a future InnovaBuzz podcast. Zappos is often cited as a model company for the culture they’ve built and the customer service they provide. Matt would like me to explore that with Tony.
So Tony, keep an eye on your inbox, for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Matt Barnett from Bonjoro.
Links and Books
Cool things about Matt
- He was always wanted to go into business as a child.
- His father ran a global business selling archery products.
- He is an art photographer as well.