InnovaBuzz #104 – Gill Hicks, MAD for Peace
Gill Hicks, MAD for Peace
In this episode, I’m privileged to talk on the InnovaBuzz podcast, with Gill Hicks, of MAD for Peace.
Gill is one of the most inspiring, thought provoking, powerful and life affirming speakers in Australia today. Her remarkable story of survival, courage and determination to triumph over the tragedy of nearly losing her life, but certainly having it totally disrupted when she was caught in the London terrorist bombings of July 2005, is nothing but inspirational.
Gill wrote the book “One Unknown”, a moving account of the tragedy of that bombing, of her survival and inspirational journey to a new life. She now operates an international not for profit M.A.D. for Peace network, is a sought after Public Speaker and an advocate for peace and understanding in the world.
Fiona Kerr on Episode 102 recommended we interview Gill.
This is an inspirational discussion with a vitally important message! Listen to the podcast to find out more.We are about creatively countering violent extremism by offering alternative ideas and pathways that are very constructive. @MADforpeace on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Listen to the Podcast
Show Notes from this episode with Gill Hicks
Key points and take-aways from this episode include:
- Gill has channelled her anger about her horrific injuries into a powerful motivator to be a leader of change. Her amazing attitude is encapsulated in the way she reframes pain, discomfort and challenge – I’m here and I get to feel stuff! How brilliant is that. I get to choose how I respond to every single challenge.
- Change is happening all the time, mostly it is very small, but sometimes it is seismic. We can’t stop change but we have absolute control over how we react and respond. We have the power of choice.
- Mindset – we need to be the “gatekeepers” of our thoughts and making sure that we choose to let go of negative thoughts and really focus on what matters.
- M.A.D. for Peace (make a difference) – creatively counter violent extremism by offering alternative ideas and pathways that are very constructive.
- We all have a responsibility to interrupt the cycle of violence by taking the same approach as Gill – “this stops with me”, and then take action to constructively and positively improve the situation.
- Someone, somewhere is feeling the effects of something you have said or done! This is a great responsibility.
- Take time to do the things you love outside of work. You never know when that opportunity might come again or indeed if it will.
- Be clear about your purpose – why you do what you do. It’s important to take that time to realize why you are doing what you do. There should be an enjoyment in the things you are doing. Make that purpose at the core of everything you do.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Gill Hicks’ answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Always have an open mind of what things may come from a session of thinking. Don’t just make conclusions about things or people.
- Best thing for new ideas – Full wall blackboard – write down your beginning and sketch out your pathway. Then you start to see where you’re going.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Design methodology: First, start with what you need. Then think of things that could float from the need to create the right solution to fulfill that need.
- Keep project / client on track – Always remind yourself and your team of the why. Why are we doing this. Why does it matter.
- Differentiate – Believe in your purpose and stay true to your why.
To Be a Leader
Get everyone on your team invested in the why and the outcome you want to achieve. Make sure they understand their contribution, their role and get to share in the outcome.
Gill suggested I interview Steve Killelea of the Global Peace Index, on a future InnovaBuzz podcast.
So Steve, keep an eye on your inbox, for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Gill Hicks.
Links and Books
- Gill’s Website
- M.A.D. For Peace Website
- M.A.D. Minds Website
- Twitter – @MADforpeace
- Gill on Linkedin
- Out of Touch with Gill and Fiona Kerr
- Gill’s Ted Talk
- One Unknown: Facing death, choosing life.
- What’s an Idea Without Action?
Cool things about Gill:
- Gill walked from Leeds to London – every day for a month, on prosthetic legs!
- Gill has even been abseiling with prosthetic legs.
- Gill is mother of a 5 year old daughter.