Eric Rogell, The Hero’s Journey in Leadership – InnovaBuzz 407
Eric Rogell – Warriors, Lovers, Kings, and Heroes
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Eric Rogell, a speaker and storyteller, the host of the “Warriors, Lovers, Kings, and Heroes” podcast, producer of The Complete Man Summit, a bestselling author, and a mentor creating bold, inspirational leaders who want to ignite motivation, vision, and purpose in their teams and their lives.
Eric has interviewed hundreds of men – from celebrities to athletes, to entrepreneurs, to military vets, diving deep into their stories of what made them the men and leaders they are today. He has made it his mission to get you the tools, tips, strategies, and intel you need to be the best leader you can be, to step into your greatness as a leader, partner, and parent. And to teach you how to create other strong leaders.
In our discussion, Eric talked to me about:
- The 4 Archetypes we all live during our Hero’s Journey (Warrior, Lover, King/Queen, Hero), and how to embody each of these deliberately to be more effective, respected, and successful as a leader
- The formula for wording directives and instructions so your team is inspired and motivated, and gets the job done
- What we learn about people, knowing their favourite superhero
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastThe hero's journey is all about making everybody who works for you become better at what they do. It's about creating as many kings and queens around you as you possibly can. @EricRogell on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Eric Rogell of Warriors, Lovers, Kings, and Heroes
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- The four archetypes of the hero’s journey in leadership:
- Warriors – the one that gets us going. It is our courage, drive, and ambition. It is all things that get us moving on our journey.
- Lovers – the heart side. It’s where we find the wisdom, creativity, compassion, and passion for what we are doing.
- Kings and Queens – where we step into greatness as a leader.
- Heroes – where we create other kings and queens, and guiding others on their path.
- Using your heart is not a sign of weakness. It is actually even more powerful than anything else.
- You are a leader if people are inspired to follow you. When communicating with your team, think about how you can get the directive across in a way that they are motivated to follow you.
- You can be an empowered warrior that is bold and courageous and follow it up with a strong lover side.
- Be strong and firm in your decisions. Decision-making is a strong warrior trait.
- The hero’s journey is all about making everybody who works for you become better at what they do. It’s about creating as many kings and queens around you as you possibly can. You want them to be legendary. You want them to leave a legacy. You want them to do their own thing and be amazing at it.
- When communicating with your team, be direct first. Get to the point first and fill it in with the heart stuff after. Lead the conversation from the warrior.
- Email or text communication can land wrong but it also gives us an opportunity to really feel what we’re saying before it goes out. It gives us the opportunity to put some thought into our communication.
- You’ll never go wrong if you’re coming from a place of integrity and authenticity. If your team knows that you are willing to own up to things, they’ll know that you are coming from a genuine place.
- The 7 sacred core values of leadership are courage, honesty, integrity, commitment, duty, honour, and love.
- When you have the courage to be ruthlessly honest with yourself and the people around you, that is when you can live in integrity. If your team knows that you are living in integrity and that you will be there for them if something happens, they will know that you are committed to them and that your duty in business is their growth and becoming their own kings and queen. You are honoring them and you respect them. You are coming from a place of love and genuinely caring about them as people.
- Encourage your team to come and tell you if you said or did something that they don’t agree with or lands the wrong way. It empowers them. It gives them the power of the king and queen because you are not putting them below you.
- A person’s favourite superhero tells a lot about who they are. Asking someone about who their favourite superhero is, also builds that connection and relationship. It allows you to see who they really are as a person. It allows you have those really authentic conversations that build relationships.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Eric’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Allow. Be like a child. Pretend you know nothing and just allow it all in. Don’t be afraid to fail and try new things. Fail forward fast. Do it, test, learn, and move.
- Best thing for new ideas – Be quiet.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Evernote
- Keep project/client on track – Make your vision your north star that is going to guide every decision that you make.
- Differentiate – Be in integrity. Be authentic. We are all unique and different. Be who you are authentically and you will stand out.
To Be a Leader
This is your story. Live your story and write your story. Look at challenges as a positive thing. Tap into your warrior. Overcome those challenges and embrace your lover side. Find your passion, be creative, be playful, and impart your wisdom. Write that story of you as a king or queen, and ultimately, the hero. Be the hero and help guide other people. At the end of your life if you’ve lived towards being the hero, you will find that you really were and it was very fulfilling.
You can reach out and thank Eric through his website.
Eric suggested we have a conversation with Tommy Breedlove, author of Legendary. So Tommy, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz Podcast, courtesy of Eric Rogell.
- Website – Eric Rogell
- Podcast – Warriors, Lovers, Kings, and Heroes
- Twitter – @EricRogell
Cool Things About Eric
- He’s a lifestyle writer for several publications.
- He’s a nonprofit founder and a serial entrepreneur.
- He’s an adventure seeker and a documentary filmmaker.