Brooke Sellas, How to Use Social Media to Create Amazing Customer Experiences – InnovaBuzz 375
Brooke Sellas, B Squared Media
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Brooke Sellas, the CEO & Founder of B Squared Media, an award-winning done-for-you social media management, advertising, and customer care agency. She’s also the co-host of the top-rated Marketing Companion podcast with marketing legend Mark Schaefer, who was our guest on episode 324 of the InnovaBuzz Podcast.
Brooke’s marketing mantra is “Think Conversation, Not Campaign”, so be sure to give her a shout on social media! Her company B Squared Media is a boutique digital marketing agency specializing in “done-for-you” social media, advertising, and social-first customer care management with a focus on results. Her clients range from small to enterprise-sized brands.
In our discussion, Brooke talked to me about:
- Tapping into customer conversations already happening with social listening
- Shifting your focus from vanity metrics to return on conversation
- Her philosophy of “think conversation , not campaign” and how that will drive results
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastFocus on the Return on Conversation (ROC). Think about how you can get people to talk to you as well as how you can get them to talk about you on social media. @BrookeSellas on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Brooke Sellas of B Squared Media
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Social media allows you to connect with people in a smart way, but you have to make sure that what you are doing is strategic, data-driven, and ultimately, meets your business goals.
- It is not necessarily helping you grow your business unless it leads to action.
- Focus on the Return on Conversation (ROC). Think about how you can get people to talk to you as well as how you can get them to talk about you on social media.
- Behind-the-scenes content always performs best and usually results in conversations. Behind-the-scenes content shows the human side of what happens inside your brand. It shows people that you are also human.
- The most human company wins.
- People go to social media to be entertained. It is supposed to be messy, and it’s supposed to be real. It’s a place where people connect and where they go to escape. Make sure that you are putting out content where they can go and escape but is also informative because you want to talk about your brand.
- Humans are naturally curious. You can answer that natural curiosity with the behind-the-scenes content that you have.
- Think conversations, not campaigns. Social media is a different marketing platform. Instead of focusing on the campaign, it is smarter to focus on the conversation, and let the campaign come out of that.
- Conversations should be at the center of everything that you do.
- Social listening is going beyond what is said to you and looking at the conversation as a whole.
- Customer experience is not about rolling out the red carpet or topping every experience. It’s about making every experience easier.
- Your internal customer service and social media customer service have to match.
- Customers now rate the customer service they receive in the same way that they rate the product/service that they buy.
- Humans and chatbots work well in tandem but you cannot take the human out of the equation.
- Even though it’s a bot, give it your personality.
Behind-the-Scene with Brooke Sellas
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Brooke’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Document everything that you do as a business owner and start to build out processes from that.
- Best thing for new ideas – Having personal time. Self-care means so much to productivity.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Mastermind
- Keep project/client on track – Ask qualifying questions in order to make sure that you understand what they’re saying and that you can deliver on what they are asking.
- Differentiate – Be YOU. The one thing that someone else cannot take away from you is your story. If your story is uniquely you and you are truly yourself, that will really set you apart.
To Be a Leader
Think conversation, not campaign. Start and end with that conversation, and the campaign will come out of it.
Brooke suggested we have a conversation with Katie Robbert of Trust Insights. So Katie, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Brooke Sellas.
- Website – B Squared Media
- Podcast – Marketing Companion
- Twitter – @BrookeSellas
Cool Things About Brooke
- She was awarded one of New Jersey’s ‘Top 25 Women Entrepreneurs & Brand Builders’ by LWE and New Jersey Monthly magazine.
- She was named one of the ‘Top 50 Social Media Marketing Influencers’ by TopRank Marketing.
- She has taught social media classes as an adjunct professor at elite universities such as NYU and Baruch College.