Yann Ilunga, Podcast Growth Hub – InnovaBuzz 166
Yann Ilunga, Podcast Growth Hub
In this episode, I’m really excited to have on the InnovaBuzz podcast as my guest, Yann Ilunga, Podcasting Consultant and podcast host and web entrepreneur. He helps entrepreneurs, small business owners, coaches, and authors successfully plan and launch a podcast and works with independent podcasters, helping them identify ways to market and grow their show.
Yann, is the founder of the world’s BIGGEST digital conference about podcasting (the Podcast Success Summit) and the creator of the podcasting educational site Podcast Growth Hub, as well as host of four podcasts.
In our discussion, Yann talked to me about
- The keys to being strategic about your podcast
- How to squeeze the most out of your podcast content, and
- the importance of experimentation
Jennifer Longworth on episode 150 introduced us to Yann.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the Podcast
Look at your content like a fruit and really try to squeeze it to get as much juice as possible. @TheYannIlunga on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Yann Ilunga of the Podcast Growth Hub
Key points and take-aways from this episode include:
- Focusing on just one goal is not bad but can sometimes lead to missing out on other opportunities for growth and for building relationships.
- Keep your eyes open and be aware that even though you may be focusing on one goal, there may be a couple of other goals that are easier to achieve and may help you achieve your big goal faster.
- Stop trying to be like other people. Even if you follow the exact same steps, use the same tools and spend the same amount of money, the end result is not going to be the same. There are different parameters and different audiences lead to different things.
- The first thing you need to have is a strategy. Ask yourself what you want to achieve with your podcast.
- Different people can bring different perspectives and different perspectives make a richer experience.
- Spend your time in a more strategic way and promote your podcast to a person or group who are more likely to listen to your show.
- Growing a podcast audience takes patience.
- Look at your content like a fruit and really try to squeeze it to get as much juice as possible.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. Stop looking at what everybody else is doing. There are many different strategies you can implement and the only way to know which one really works for you and your show is to experiment with each of them until you find the ones that are really getting some traction.
- Share your processes with your community. It will make you vulnerable and will put you at the level of the people in your community versus just being a guru.
- There is a lot of traction that can come as a result of podcast guesting.
- Make sure that you have presentation assets in place. Those are the things that you can use to pitch yourself and decrease the amount of work a host needs to carry out in order for him to say YES to your pitch.
- If there is no chemistry between you and the host, people who listen to the show on a regular basis will notice that something is off. You can’t fake enthusiasm.
- Always make sure that you have a minute or two after the interview to have a quick chat with the host. When it comes to building something between a host and a guest, that is where the magic happens.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Yann’s answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Don’t be afraid to experiment and have patience. For certain things to work, there has to be a window of time.
- Best thing for new ideas – Be really observant. Look at recurring questions and answers. Ask questions.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Processes. Project management tools – Trello, Plutio, Zapier, Quriobot.
- Keep project / client on track – Project management tool and calendar.
- Differentiate – Be yourself 100%. Take inspiration from people but then add your own ingredients and make your own special sauce.
To Be a Leader
Leaders are people who are not afraid to look, think, and act outside the box. If you want to be a leader, even more so in the innovation space, look, think, and do things that outside the box. Oftentimes, those are the people who end up being pioneers or trailblazers.
Yann suggested I interview Twila Kaye, a Certified Relationship and Professional Coach. So Twila, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Yann Ilunga.
- Website – Yann Ilunga
- Twitter – @TheYannIlunga
- Podcast Growth Hub
- Podcast Growth Mastermind
- Podcast Success Summit
Cool things about Yann
- Yann was born in the Italian-speaking region of Switzerland and now lives in Helsinki, Finnland
- He speaks 5 languages.
- He’s been dubbed “Podcasting Advocate” by Forbes and one of the “Unicorn-Level Digital Marketing Experts” by Inc.