Jason Van Orden, Turn Your Expertise Into a Digital Platform That Inspires Your Audience – InnovaBuzz 275
Jason Van Orden, Marketing Strategist for Expert Influencers
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Jason Van Orden who works with thought leaders to turn their expertise into a digital platform that inspires their audience. He helps them package their wisdom and market it to the people who need it. Jason is also a long time podcaster and his latest podcast Impact: How to Grow Your Thought Leadership Brand and Business, has recently launched.
In our discussion, Jason and I talked about:
- What marketing his rock band, his various businesses, and his podcasts all have in common, which is getting a clear message to the right audience
- Lessons from the launch of his latest podcast
- How to leverage a small list through joint ventures
Sandi Eveleth in episode 244 introduced us to Jason.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the Podcast
Show Notes from this episode with Jason Van Orden, Marketing Strategist for Expert Influencers
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Creating a course and putting together a package that you can sell to anybody anywhere, opens up a lot more possibilities about who you can work with.
- Thought leaders are people with a message, a story, a perspective, and expertise that they want to get out into the world.
- Find your position in the marketplace. Be able to describe yourself in a way that your target market can decide whether what you’re offering is right for them.
- Having a well thought out promotional sequence is important. Create a promotional sequence with multiple touch points that talks about your offer.
- Different people respond to different things. Create multiple follow-ups that you can change as you go through your sequence.
- Know the audience you are serving and what they need. Listen to them and focus on addressing their needs.
- When you have a recognizable personal brand and people see you as a go-to person for the problems that they have, it makes it a lot easier for them to say YES to you.
- Focus on bringing immense value as an expert in your field.
- Create content and have at least one good channel where you are consistently showing up with great content that people will follow.
- Be very clear about who your audience is for your show. Know why your show matters and what’s going to set it apart.
- Make your podcast actionable and build your list by adding some worksheets and templates that your audience can download.
- Get a launch team to give you feedback before your podcast goes live. Ask them what they are willing to do to help you promote your show such as sharing your first few episodes and giving you a rating/review.
- Batching is efficient but you have to be able to adjust your show based on the feedback that’s coming in.
Find your position in the marketplace. Be able to describe yourself in a way that your target market can decide whether or not what you're offering is right for them. @JasonVO on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Jason’s answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Constantly give yourself raw fuel for innovation. Keep learning about new things not just in your industry but in others as well. Keep being curious and don’t be afraid to try things out.
- Best thing for new ideas – Follow your curiosity and experiment along the way.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Instagram
- Keep project / client on track – Get the stuff out of your brain. Don’t manage the project inside your brain. Don’t hold on to the things that need be done.
- Differentiate – Find your voice. Know what is really driving your work that you can talk about and will give people a unique perspective that they can resonate with. Know your strengths. The more you know your strengths, the better you can differentiate yourself.
To Be a Leader
The world needs your voice. Put yourself out there and share your story.
Jason suggested I interview Michael Roderick of Small Pond Enterprises. So Michael, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Jason Van Orden.
- Website – Jason Van Orden
- Impact Podcast
- Twitter – @JasonVO
- Strengths Finder Assessment
- Promoting Your Podcast: The Ultimate Guide to Building an Audience of Raving Fans
- Louder than Words: Harness the Power of Your Authentic Voice by Todd Henry
- Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton
- How the World Sees You: Discover Your Highest Value Through the Science of Fascination by Sally Hogshead
Cool things about Jason
- He has a degree in jazz guitar and took lessons from one of the top guitar educators in the United States.
- He is an amateur photographer and documentary filmmaker.
- He grew up in Alaska and has traveled the entire length of the Alaska-Canada highway three times.