Ilene Ruhoy, Center for Healing Neurology
In this episode, my guest is Ilene Ruhoy, Center for Healing Neurology. Ilene is a medical doctor specializing in neurology and also holds a Ph.D. in environmental toxicology. At the Center for Healing Neurology, Ilene’s mission is to treat the person, not the disease. Her approach is to combine traditional and complementary therapies to treat the whole person: body, mind, and spirit.
Listen to the podcast to find out how Ilene combines these skills to serve her patients.You don't have to be a doctor to help people. Dr Ilene Ruhoy on #InnovaBuzz Click To Tweet
Listen to the Podcast
Key points and take-aways from this episode with Ilene Ruhoy, Center for Healing Neurology include:
- The Center for Healing Neurology is focused on making the patient feel well – in other words, serving the patient without any attachment to the treatment process that they use. They treat the patient, not the symptom.
- Helping other people brings many rewards – Ilene stated it can be the most effective anti-depressant!
- Neurology plays a role in everything we do, so a healthy brain is a key to a healthy body. Regular meditation, for example, can actually restore brain activity in certain areas.
- Regular exercise, good nutrition, and social connections help build new neural pathways that keep the brain healthy and can be preventative against any age-related degenerative brain-related symptoms. Changing the type of exercise can challenge and enhance brain function.
- The first step in any treatment that Ilene undertakes is a comprehensive diagnostic evaluation, to get more information about the person and how their body is functioning and what might be the underlying causes of the presenting symptoms. This is a great metaphor for any business – going beyond the symptoms to understand the underlying core needs before prescribing a solution.
- Healing is a journey – the body has an innate ability to heal itself. Keeping things in balance, by managing stress and preventing illness is the approach taken by The Center for Healing Neurology. They accompany their patients on the wellness journey.
- Food is medicine! Some foods are highly inflammatory and can trigger symptoms of illness and increase the risk of long-term health concerns, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and so on.
- Priorities to stay “in balance” as a business owner – sleep, exercise, healthy nutrition. Go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day, within 7 hours; at least 20 minutes exercise each day, more is better; make good choices in the food you eat – every meal is an opportunity to reduce the inflammatory load on your body.
- After learning something new, the subsequent night’s sleep is critical – getting a good night’s sleep following the learning experience, will consolidate that lesson and enhance the recall.
- Most people don’t go to see the doctor until something is clearly wrong. One of the challenges for Ilene is to have people understand that prevention and a wholistic approach to health is important. “How do I get people to see me before they know they need me?”
- Stay tuned for Ilene’s educational video series: Food is Medicine. This is a classic information marketing strategy using video and providing exceptionally valuable information to people interested in maintaining their health.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Ilene’s answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Take risks; follow your passion. Forget what other people think of you!
- Best thing for new ideas – Take things from apparently disparrate philosophies, like conventional and alternative medicine and meld them together so that they are seamless – useful, beneficial and worthy.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Videos and online video tools and sharing videos on social media.
- Keep project / client on track – Holding them accountable; use a journal and honest communication. Focus on the objectives and outcomes.
- Differentiate – Find what you are uniquely passionate about and exploit it as much as possible. Find your strong points, what people like about you. Be true to yourself.
To Be a Leader
Never stop thinking about what more can be done. Never stop innovating. Never stop thinking about the gaps – things always change and never stay the same. Keep ahead of the changes.
Ilene suggested I interview Joe Brotherton, owner of several business, based in Seattle, on a future InnovaBuzz podcast.
So Joe, keep an eye on your inbox, for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Ilene Ruhoy of the Center for Healing Neurology.
Links and Books
Cool things about Ilene
- Ilene always wanted to help people from early childhood.
- In addition to a medical degree, a specialized career in neurology and a Ph.D. in environmental toxicology, Ilene is qualified in integrated medicine, herbal medicine and medical accupuncture. She brings in pieces from various philosophies to an integrated approach to patient wellness.
- Ilene has overcome recent brain surgery and is full of energy again and loves helping people.
Listen to the Podcast
Subscribe to the InnovaBuzz Podcast:
TRANSFORMATIONAL MARKETING MAP FOR BUSINESS COACHES
The Transformational Marketing Journey for Business Coaches guides you through a comprehensive 12 step process explaining each step in detail and showing you a systematic way to grow your coaching business.