Carlos Diaz, The Creator Economy and Web 3.0 – InnovaBuzz 550
Carlos Diaz, Uncut.fm
Our guest in this episode is Carlos Diaz, founder and CEO of Uncut.fm. Carlos is a repeat entrepreneur. He created his first startup, Emakina, at the age of 23, and it IPOed in 2006. He founded blueKiwi, the first SaaS in France, moved the company to Silicon Valley in 2010 and sold it two years later. He ran a startup accelerator program for four years and continues to invest through his rolling fund Diaspora Ventures.
He is also host of the independent podcast, Silicon Carne, which has become one of the most listened tech podcasts in France, with more than 10,000 downloads per episode.
Carlos is one of the first content creators to launch an NFT project specifically for his podcast, and then to build a platform, Uncut.fm, for other creators to do the same with ease.
In our conversation Carlos talked to me about
- The Creator Economy where creators build community and add unique value to that community;
- How podcasters can engage their community of listeners as shareholders;
- Why intention is the “new attention”.
Seth Silvers, in episode 537 introduced us to Carlos.
Listen to the PodcastWe are moving away from the attention economy to the INTENTION economy. It's less about the number of followers or listeners, more about the number of people that take action and are engaged. @CarlosDiaz on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Carlos Diaz, Uncut.fm
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Anticipate revolutions that are not obvious and turn your ideas into a real business solving real problems.
- We are consuming content today more from individual creators than from traditional media companies. Yet the platforms are the ones that reap the monetary benefits from the value of that content.
- 99% of advertising money goes to 1% of the creators.
- Subscription as a content monetization model has the disadvantage that it requires the creator to regularly produce new content all the time.
- The Uncut.fm model is framed around community. Digital tokens are minted to provide access to the community and special benefits dedicated to that community.
- Digital tokens for each podcast episode are a way for fans of the podcast can show their appreciation. It’s also a golden bookmark. It’s like buying a copy of the book versus borrowing from the library.
- Digital tokens within the community is a convenient way to segment the community into specific interest groups.
- We are moving away from the attention economy to the INTENTION economy. It’s less about the number of followers or listeners, more about the number of people that take action and are engaged.
- Blockchain technology enables transparent, public and secure means to transfer money. It provides the infrastructure for the new creator economy without any platform required and without intermediaries.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Carlos’ answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- 1 thing to be more innovative – Open a crypto wallet so you can start storing digital assets. It’s the 2023 version of opening your first email account.
- Best thing for new ideas – Surround yourself with people who are smarter than you. Listen, learn and model from them.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Google and my notepad.
- Keep project/client on track – Tap into the passion. Ask “why you?” Understand your relationship to the project or endeavour.
- Differentiate – We are all different, be yourself and find your “inner you”.
Learn about Web 3.0 – it’s the very beginning. Educate yourself about this and try things out, share what you are doing with us.
You can reach out and thank Carlos through Twitter and LinkedIn as well as the uncut.fm website.
Carlos suggested we have a conversation with angel investor Marvin Liao, on a future InnovaBuzz Podcast episode.
Cool Things About Carlos
- Carlos is a pre-seed investor.
- He’s also a guitar player and bread maker.
- Carlos is fluent in English, French and Spanish.
If you’d like a peek behind the curtain, of this show, go to innovabiz.co/flywheel – there you’ll be able to get your very own Digital Token which will give you membership of the Flywheel Nation Community, where you’ll have direct access to our amazing podcast guests, as well as a short audio program that walks you through the entire InnovaBuzz Podcasting Process. We have minted just 30 copies of this digital token so get in quick before they’re snapped up!