By: Jürgen Strauss
Engagement is the key word that describes what is required in creating an authority site. This means that proactivity is a must to attract attention for the niche that you are building. Daily interactions with the influencers within your circle must be undertaken – to be able to facilitate the link-building process. It is therefore relevant to link with sites that currently making news – whether industry or product related. Here are some tips to get it done but not finished – because once your own network becomes active, it’s time to make money!
First, setup an Authority Hub for Social Media – this is where you can syndicate your materials before creating them for web contents. This should be your base where influencers can participate in activities to grow your network of followers through the following methods:
- Conceptualise a website that can be a magnet for influencers when promoted through social media platforms
- Create an account within syndicated websites to be able to start building your circles of contacts grouped according to common interests
- Get represented at Google + with a presentable image of yourself and attractive banner and profile including an interesting biography
- Set-up your Contributor Links within Google+ and check out the blogs of people contributing to your links – then comment on them when allowed and add the link and the URL name in the Contributor Links area
Set-up authorship mark up with your Google profile manually or make use of appropriate scripts in your website. Here are 3 ways to do this:
- Option 1: Link your article to the Google+ profile you’ve created. Make sure to have an email address that is the same as your domain name where your contents are (Example Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Domain: innovabiz.com.au) then identify all articles published on that site with a clear by line like “by: Jürgen Strauss”. Do not forget to submit your email address to Google’s Authorship page. This is done only once regardless of the number of articles you publish.
- Option 2: This is in case you have a free email address not matching with your domain name e.g. when using Gmail or Yahoo mail.
- A. Add an html code linking your website to your Google+ profile: <a href=”[profile_url]?rel=author”>Google
- B. Substitute [profile_url] with the Google+ profile URL, example: Google
- C. Add a reverse link from your Google profile to the site where the html link is
- D. Edit the Contributor section by clicking custom link then enter the website name and URL, click public if privacy is an issue then SAVE
- Option 3: (For WordPress blogs ONLY) – Download the Author Sure WordPress plugin that is free, unzip the file and save. Upload the zip file in the WordPress dashboard plugin area then activate the plug-in. On your Profile page on the WordPress site, enter your Google+ Profile url. Access your Google+ Profile, select Edit Profile, proceed to Contributor To, then link your Author Page with the WordPress site.
Second, set-up other Social Media Accounts: Create a Facebook business page and link all your website links to your business page and not to your personal page. You can also incorporate your Twitter account if you are regularly using it. Your Twitter profile can also be used for your profile link.
The above are the main suggestions for your key engagements but the making of an authority site is not limited to the above strategies. Obviously, the more accounts you have in various social media, the better. However, networking efforts must be carried out on a continued basis. It is not enough to just create accounts. Link building strategies like back linking through guest postings and blog commenting should be done on a regular basis.
And don’t forget – they most important thing about building an authority site is to provide information of value to your readers, so they’ll want to visit your site!