How Empathy Maps Can Help You Identify and Understand Your Ideal Client with Jürgen Strauss
It dawned on me that every time I focused more narrow, that my business actually grew, and I was happier. So I decided, the way to do this was to really understand who I’m serving.
Working with people who aren’t a good match for you can throw the wheels off everything you are trying to accomplish in your business. You end up spending your time, money, and energy in areas that are not your “sweet spot” and can ultimately lead to more referrals of the same type of clients who aren’t a good match for you.
It was a great privilege to be a guest on the Live on the Feast Podcast with Jason Resnick to talk about using empathy maps to discover and understand your ideal client, the people who are a good match for you and who you want more of in your business.
Jason and I have crossed paths in many online communities and have spoken in the past about a lot of marketing automation-related things. He was our guest on InnovaBuzz 224.
Here are some of the takeaways from the interview.
- Just because you are experienced in a lot of different areas doesn’t mean that you can take anybody on board.
- There’s a real risk of disappointing some customers in doing things that whilst you know how to do it, you are not necessarily the expert. You end up not doing the best practice and when you aspire to do so, you’ll end up investing huge amounts of time in learning a whole lot of different things and lack focus.
- The way to grow your business is to focus more narrow and the way to do this is to really understand who you are serving.
- Marketing and building a business are all about relationships. We all do business with people we know, like, and trust.
- Start off with your favourite client and clone that client (in a figurative sense!).
- Empathy maps allow you to really dig deep and add some additional information about your ideal client that you probably don’t get with the normal avatar exercise – what drives them, their dreams and aspirations, their frustrations, and what their goals are, that you can then use to think of the strategies your ideal client will use to achieve those goals and where you can help with those.
- People are influenced by what they are thinking and their behaviour. Empathy maps are a great way to figure out the external factors and people that influence your ideal customer.